From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Guernsey|
|Actual use||Popular in Guernsey, eSports websites and used for Discord server invites|
|Structure||Registrations are directly at second level or under second level generic categories|
.gg is the country code top-level domain for the crown dependency of Guernsey, including the islands of Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou and Lihou (plus several uninhabited islands and islets). The domain is administered by Island Networks, who also administer the .je domain for neighbouring territory Jersey. Many esports websites use .gg for domain names, where "gg" is a commonly used initialism for "good game".
In 2003, a Google Search website was made available for Guernsey, which used the .gg domain. The search engine DuckDuckGo uses the domain ddg.gg as a redirect to their main website, duckduckgo.com, and the VoIP application Discord uses the domain discord.gg as a redirect to their main website, discordapp.com, as well as for Discord server invite links.
Names have been registered principally directly at second level, however the following legacy sub-domain are still open for registration:
- .co.gg – commercial/personal domains
- .net.gg – Internet service providers and commercial
- .org.gg – organizations (free to local good causes)
- ".gg Domain Names - Gandi.net". Gandi. Retrieved 12 September 2016.
- "IANA - .gg Domain Delegation Data". Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
- "DuckDuckGo official forums.". DuckDuckGo. 22 March 2012.
- Roberts, Nigel (August 2016). ".GG and .JE celebrate two decades of service to the local community". channelisles.net. Retrieved September 12, 2016.
|This article about the Bailiwick of Guernsey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Internet domain name article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|