From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1068 by topic|
|Lists of leaders|
|Political entities - State leaders - Religious leaders|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishments and disestablishments categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1068.|
- January 1 – Eudokia Makrembolitissa marries the general Romanus Diogenes, who becomes Byzantine Emperor.
- March 18 – An earthquake affects the Near East, with a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). The shock has a magnitude greater than 7, and leaves about 20,000 people dead.
- September – Zaynab an-Nafzawiyyah marries Abu Bakr ibn Umar, leader of the Almoravids, and becomes his queen and co-regent.
- Emperor Go-Sanjō ascends to the throne of Japan.
- William the Conqueror takes Exeter after a brief siege.
- Battle of the Alta River: The Cumans defeat the rulers of Kievan Rus.
- Kiev uprising of 1068: The city of Kiev rebels against Prince Iziaslav Yaroslavich, in the aftermath of the Kievan Rus defeat against the Cumans.
- Henry I of England (d. 1135)
- Ermengarde of Anjou, Duchess regent of Brittany (d. 1146) (approximate date)
- May 22 – Emperor Go-Reizei of Japan (b. 1025)
- November 20 – Agnes of Burgundy, Duchess of Aquitaine, regent of Aquitaine