1849 in New Zealand
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1849 in New Zealand|
|Other years in New Zealand|
|1846 • 1847 • 1848 • 1849 • 1850 • 1851 • 1852|
The estimated population of New Zealand at the end of 1849 is 67,000 Māori and 19,543 non-Māori.
Regal and Vice Regal
Government and law
- Chief Justice — William Martin
- Lieutenant Governor, New Munster — Edward John Eyre
- Lieutenant Governor, New Ulster — George Dean Pitt
- 4 January: The Māori language magazine, The Maori Messenger or Ko te Karere Maori publishes its first issue, replacing Te Karere o Nui Tireni which stopped publishing in 1846. The magazine continues under several titles until 1863.
Arts and literature
Appointments and awards
- John Aitken, Mayor of Wellington.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- List of years in New Zealand
- Timeline of New Zealand history
- History of New Zealand
- Military history of New Zealand
- Timeline of the New Zealand environment
- Timeline of New Zealand's links with Antarctica
- Statistics New Zealand has collated estimates from a number of sources (interpolating where necessary) at "Long-term data series". Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. http://web.archive.org/web/20080305185447/http://www.stats.govt.nz/tables/ltds/ltds-population.htm. Retrieved 2008-03-14. , in particular "A1.1 Total population.xls" (Excel). Archived from the original on 2008-03-05. http://web.archive.org/web/20080305185447/http://www.stats.govt.nz/tables/ltds/ltds-population.htm. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Chapter 2: Early Statistical Sources — 19th Century" (PDF). Statistical publications 1840–2000. Statistics New Zealand. p. 11. Archived from the original on 25 November 2007. http://web.archive.org/web/20071125112530/http://www.stats.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/9E78F21A-EF20-4C82-934B-1587FC7489CC/0/StatPubschapter2.pdf.
- Dunmore, Patricia (ed.) (1977). The Dunmore Book of New Zealand Records. p. 21. ISBN 0-908564-08-2.
- Todd, S. (1976) Sporting Records of New Zealand. Auckland: Moa Publications. ISBN 0-908570-00-7
Media related to 1849 in New Zealand at Wikimedia Commons