1943 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- February 20 – The painter David Olère is arrested by French police during a round up of Jews in Seine-et-Oise and spends the rest of World War II in Nazi concentration camps.
- September 21 – German-Jewish painter Charlotte Salomon, in hiding in the south of France, is arrested by the Gestapo, ending the autobiographical series of 769 paintings Leben? oder Theater?: Ein Singspiel ("Life? or Theater?: A Song-play").
- December 9 – Willem de Kooning marries Elaine Fried in New York.
- Filming in the United States of a version of The Picture of Dorian Grey uses an original work by Ivan Albright as the title picture.
- Constantin Brâncuși – The Seal (sculpture, Musée National d'Art Moderne, Paris)
- Paul Cadmus – The Shower
- Salvador Dalí – Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Man
- William Dobell – The Billy Boy
- M. C. Escher – Reptiles (lithograph)
- Murray Griffin – Roberts Hospital, Changi
- Barbara Hepworth – Oval Sculpture
- Edward Hopper – Hotel Lobby
- Dame Laura Knight – Ruby Loftus Screwing a Breech Ring
- Wifredo Lam – The Jungle
- L. S. Lowry
- George Platt Lynes – Marsden Hartley (photograph)
- Piet Mondrian – Broadway Boogie-Woogie
- Paul Nash – Landscape of the Vernal Equinox
- Felix Nussbaum – Self-portrait with Jewish identity card
- Arthur Pan – Winston Churchill
- Mervyn Peake
- Jackson Pollock – Mural (for Peggy Guggenheim)
- Norman Rockwell – Four Freedoms (paintings)
- Walter Russell – Four Freedoms Monument
- Xul Solar – Fiordo
- Dorothea Tanning – Eine kleine Nachtmusik
- Stanley Warren – Changi Murals
- U Wisara Monument (Rangoon)
- Andrew Wyeth – Public Sale
- January 8 – Sighsten Herrgård, Swedish fashion designer (d.1989)
- January 20 – Jessica Rawson, English art historian
- February 22 – Dragoš Kalajić, Serbian modern painter (d. 2005)
- April 24 – Jüri Kerem, Estonian portraitist
- May 8 – James Turrell, American installation artist
- June 22 – Gordon Matta-Clark, American situationist, site-specific artist and performance artist (d.1978)
- July 15 – Michael Asher, American conceptual artist and installation artist (d. 2012)
- July 29 – Martha Rosler, American video, photo-text, installation and performance artist
- August 30 – Robert Crumb, American cartoonist
- September 5 – Jerry Wilkerson, American painter (d. 2007)
- September 17 – Gilbert (Proesch), Italian-born artist partnering with George (Passmore)
- November 11 – Dave Cockrum, American comic book artist (d. 2006)
- January 13
- May 25 – Percy Shakespeare, English painter (on active service) (b. 1906)
- June 28 – Pietro Porcelli, Italian-born Australian sculptor (b. 1872)
- c. July 11 – Friedrich Adler, German-Jewish designer (in Auschwitz concentration camp) (b. 1878)
- August 7 – Sarah Purser, Irish portrait painter and stained-glass maker (b. 1848)
- August 9 – Chaim Soutine, Belarusian Jewish-born French painter (b. 1893)
- September 2 – Marsden Hartley, American Modernist painter (b. 1877)
- c. October 10 – Charlotte Salomon, German-Jewish painter (in Auschwitz concentration camp) (b. 1917)
- October 19 – Camille Claudel, French sculptor and graphic artist (b. 1864)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1943 in art.|
- "Shared Experience: Art and War". awm.gov.au.
- "Ruby Loftus screwing a breech-ring – Dame Laura Knight RA (1877-1970)". Canadian War Museum.
- "A Gun Girl – Ruby Loftus – Dame Laura Knight's Newport commission". Wartime Newport: The Home Front.
- "'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik', Dorothea Tanning - Tate". Tate.