2016 in rail transport
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Years in rail transport|
This article lists events related to rail transport that are currently scheduled to occur in 2016. Please be aware that the actual dates that these events occur on may differ substantially from what is shown here.
- January 22–24 – In anticipation of heavy snowfall and preparation for the effects of winter storm Jonas, Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority (WMATA) shuts down all services for the weekend. Metrorail services were suspended completely for two days and was restored to normal service in phases up until January 29. During the shutdown, trains were stored in the system's subway tunnels to shelter them from the storm.
- March 5 – The Gold Line Foothill Extension in Los Angeles County, California opens, extending the Metro Rail light rail system by 11.5 miles (18.5 km) to Azusa, California.
- March 16 – The entire Washington Metro system, the second largest subway system in the United States, is shut down on a weekday for 24 hours during emergency inspections of jumper cables in tunnels. The shutdown followed an electrical fire caused by a jumper cable two days prior.
- March 19
- March 22 – 2016 Brussels bombings: 21 are killed by a terrorist suicide bomb in a subway car at Maelbeek/Maalbeek metro station.
- March 26 – The first segment of the Hokkaido Shinkansen opens, bringing high-speed rail service to Hokkaido.
- April 5 – Indian Railways (Northern Railway zone) inaugurates semi high speed luxury Gatimaan Express between Delhi Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station and Agra Cantonment.
- April 22 – The A Line in Denver, Colorado, an electrified commuter rail link between Union Station and Denver International Airport owned by RTD, begins service.
- May 20 – The second phase of the Expo Line light rail in Los Angeles, California opens, extending the line to Santa Monica, California.
- June 1 – Opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, the world's longest and deepest rail tunnel.
- June 4 – Beginning of "SafeTrack" program by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to conduct emergency maintenance on the aging Washington Metro system, with expected single-tracking and shutdowns scheduled to last until March 2017.
- June 6 – Opening of the Perris Valley extension of the 91 Line, a commuter rail line operated by Metrolink in Southern California, from Riverside to Perris.
- July 3 – Phase 2 of LGV Est, including the Saverne Tunnel, opens, extending the line from Baudrecort to Vendenheim near Strasbourg.
- July 12 – Andria-Corato train collision: at least 23 killed and 50 injured by a head-on collision of two passenger trains on a single-track railroad in the Apulia region of Italy.
- July 25 – Opening of the B Line commuter rail system in Denver, Colorado.
- September 9 – Cincinnati Bell Connector opens to the public with Free ride weekend after years of planning and building bringing streetcar service back to Cincinnati for the first time since the 1950s.
- September 24 – Angle Lake station near Seattle, Washington opens, extending Link light rail service past SeaTac Airport.
- September 30 – The Wachusett station near Boston, Massachusetts, extending the MBTA Commuter Rail system by 4.5 miles (7.2 km), begins limited service, with full service beginning in November.
- October 24 – Opening of the South Oak Cliff extension of the Dallas Area Rapid Transit Blue Line to University of North Texas at Dallas.
- November 20 – Pukhrayan train derailment: Indian Railways' Indore–Patna Express derails at Pukhrayan near Kanpur with over 130 fatalities.
Unknown date events
- – Expected completion of LGV Bretagne-Pays de la Loire from Le Mans to Rennes.
- – Expected completion of LGV Sud Europe Atlantique from Tours to Bordeaux.
- – Earliest expected date for completion of construction on the "Metro North" phase of the Dublin Metro system. Metro North is the key Metro project in Dublin, linking Dublin International Airport with the city centre; subsequently not expected before 2026.
- – The double-track high-speed section from Larvik to Porsgrunn on the Vestfold Line, including the Grenland Tunnel, is expected to open.
- – Tuas West extension, a 7.5-kilometre (4.7 mi) extension of the East West MRT Line in Singapore, scheduled to open.
- – Completion of the Downtown Line Stage 2 (Bugis - Bukit Panjang)
- – Expected opening of FasTracks projects in Denver, Colorado, including one further commuter rail line (G Line) and two light rail lines (H Line extension and R Line).
- – Expected opening of the Warm Springs station on the Bay Area Rapid Transit system in San Francisco, California.
- Halsey, Ashley, III; Duggan, Paul (January 21, 2016). "D.C. region braces for epic blizzard; Metro to shut down subway, bus lines". The Washington Post. Retrieved January 23, 2016.
- Lazo, Luz (January 28, 2016). "Metro says all its bus routes are up and running Thursday". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Laris, Michael (February 27, 2016). "D.C. streetcar makes its first voyages on H Street. 'Is it really happening?'". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- Nelson, Laura J. (March 5, 2016). "Metro Gold Line extension tests San Gabriel Valley's support for transit". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Halsey III, Ashley; Laris, Michael; Shaver, Katherine (March 16, 2016). "Metro resumes rail service early Thursday". The Washington Post.
- Goth, Brenna (December 10, 2015). "Northwest Phoenix light-rail extension to open in March". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Beekman, Daniel (March 19, 2016). "Capitol Hill, UW light-rail stations open to big crowds". The Seattle Times. Retrieved March 19, 2016.
- "Hokkaido Shinkansen Line opens, cutting Tokyo-Hakodate travel time by 53 minutes". The Japan Times. March 26, 2016. Retrieved March 28, 2016.
- "Agra in 100 minutes from Delhi, courtesy Gatimaan Express, India's fastest train". IndiaToday. New Delhi. April 5, 2016. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Whaley, Monte; Aguilar, John (April 22, 2016). "A-train to Denver airport opens to public, hundreds wait to ride". The Denver Post. Archived from the original on April 23, 2016. Retrieved April 23, 2016.
- Nelson, Laura J. (May 20, 2016). "You can finally ride the Expo Line from L.A. to Santa Monica. Here's why the trip takes 50 minutes.". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- Oltermann, Philip (May 31, 2016). "World's longest rail tunnel to open in Switzerland under Alps". The Guardian. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Duggan, Paul; Aratani, Lori; McCartney, Robert (May 6, 2016). "Metro will shut down sections of lines for year-long subway repair work". The Washington Post. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Sheridan, Tom (2016-05-11). "METROLINK: Perris Valley Line set to open June 6 (UPDATE)". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- Sheridan, Tom (2016-06-06). "TRANSPORTATION: Perris Valley Line rolls out right on schedule". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "LGV Est européenne". Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "LGV-Est: Mise en service du dernier tronçon prévue pour le 3 juillet". 20 minutes (in French). January 20, 2016. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- "Italy train crash: 'Twenty-three killed' near Bari in collision". BBC. July 12, 2016. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Whaley, Monte (May 5, 2016). "RTD says B-Line from Union Station to Westminster will open in July". Denver Post. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Seven-year project to be completed in August". Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- "Light rail service to Angle Lake starts Sept. 24" (Press release). Sound Transit. August 24, 2016. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- "FITCHBURG LINE Schedule effective September 30, 2016" (PDF). Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. September 30, 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 26, 2016.
- Dumcius, Gintautas (11 July 2016). "Massachusetts spending more on Wachusett commuter rail project to cover delays and remain on-time". Mass Live. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Chiquillo, Julieta (24 October 2016). "Students, workers try new commutes as DART takes rail line to UNT Dallas". The Dallas Morning News. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "India train crash: 100 killed in derailment near Kanpur". BBC News. 2016-11-20. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Transit Committee Agenda October/November 2012" (PDF). Metropolitan Transit Authority. November 26, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "Work starts on LGV Bretagne". Railway Gazette International. July 31, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- "RFF agrees terms for Tours – Bordeaux PPP concession". Railway Gazette International. July 16, 2010. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Byrne, Cormac (June 10, 2010). "Blow as Metro West is hit by more delays in cash squeeze". Herald.ie. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "Vestfoldbanen" (in Norwegian). Norwegian National Rail Administration. Archived from the original on December 14, 2009. Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- "Tuas West Extension construction underway". Railway Gazette International. May 15, 2012. Retrieved December 6, 2012.
- Sisk, Chuck (October 30, 2014). "10 years later, RTD's FasTracks is transforming the region". The Denver Post. Retrieved February 29, 2016.
- Ramos, Julian J. (October 22, 2015). "Warm Springs BART station opening delayed in Fremont". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved February 29, 2016.