From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (October 2013) (|
|Centuries:||2nd century – 3rd century – 4th century|
|Decades:||180s 190s 200s – 210s – 220s 230s 240s|
|Years:||213 214 215 – 216 – 217 218 219|
|216 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||969|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
2912 or 2852
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
2913 or 2853
|Coptic calendar||−68 – −67|
|- Vikram Samvat||272–273|
|- Shaka Samvat||137–138|
|- Kali Yuga||3316–3317|
|Iranian calendar||406 BP – 405 BP|
|Islamic calendar||419 BH – 417 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1696 before ROC
|Seleucid era||527/528 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||758–759|
Year 216 (CCXVI) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Sabinus and Anullinus (or, less frequently, year 969 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 216 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- The Baths of Caracalla in Rome are completed with public baths (Thermae), reading rooms, auditoriums, running tracks, and public gardens that cover 20 acres.
- Emperor Caracalla tricks the Parthians by accepting a marriage proposal. He slaughters his bride and the wedding guests after the celebrations.
- Caracalla provokes a war with Artabanus V (of Parthia) to imitate his idol Alexander the Great. He crosses the Tigris, destroys towns and spoils the tombs of Arbela. The Roman army annexes Armenia.
- The basilica of Leptis Magna, ordered by Septimius Severus, is completed.
- Mithraism, which had begun in Persia, is on course to be adopted by many Roman soldiers serving in Asia.
- Saint Clement of Alexandria (approximate date) (b. c. 150)
- Saint Narcissus of Jerusalem (approximate date) (b. c. 99)
- Cui Yan (b. 163)
- Huo Jun
- Mao Jie, minister under Cao Cao
- Zhang Lu, general of Han Dynasty