From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 998. For the number, see 998 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century · 10th century · 11th century|
|Decades:||960s · 970s · 980s · 990s · 1000s · 1010s · 1020s|
|Years:||995 · 996 · 997 · 998 · 999 · 1000 · 1001|
|998 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1751|
|Chinese calendar||丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
3694 or 3634
— to —
戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3695 or 3635
|- Vikram Samvat||1054–1055|
|- Shaka Samvat||919–920|
|- Kali Yuga||4098–4099|
|Japanese calendar||Chōtoku 4
|Minguo calendar||914 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1309/1310 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1540–1541|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 998.|
- Mahmud of Ghazni wins the Battle of Ghazni and succeeds as the Amir of Ghazni.
- June – Tyre is stormed by the forces of the Fatimid Caliphate, ending a two-year rebellion of its citizens.
- 19 July – The Fatimid army under Jaysh ibn Samsama defeats and kills the Byzantine general Damian Dalassenos at the Battle of Apamea.
- The Uji Villa, officially built by Michinaga Fujiwara, as predecessor of Byodo-in in Yamashiro Province, (present day of Kyoto Prefecture) Japan.
- Otto III retakes the city of Rome and reinstates his cousin, Pope Gregory V, after mutilating and blinding his rival, Antipope John XVI.
- St. Volodimir of Rus founds (or, according to some documents, gives his name to) the city of Volodimir of Wolyn, future capital of the kingdom of Ruthenia Minor (Halych-Wolyn Rus)
- Emperor Samuil of Western Bulgarian Tsardom launched a military campaign against Kingdom of Croatia and besieged the city of Zadar
- A Benedictine abbey is founded at Sherborne.
- St. Volodimir, Prince of Kiev Rus (modern Ukraine, Russia and Belarus), baptizes his country