A Marshmallow World
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (October 2008) (|
"A Marshmallow World" (sometimes called "It's a Marshmallow World") is a popular song that was written in 1949 by Carl Sigman (lyrics) and Peter DeRose (music). The song is about winter and is commonly regarded as a Christmas song, although the lyrics make no mention of the holiday.
The song was first a hit for Bing Crosby (backed by the Lee Gordon Singers and Sonny Burke and his Orchestra). Crosby's version, recorded in 1950, peaked at number 24 on the pop singles chart in January 1951. Other artists who recorded the song in 1950 included Ray Anthony, Vic Damone, Johnny Desmond, Arthur Godfrey and Vaughn Monroe.
- Darlene Love (on the 1963 compilation album A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector)
- Johnny Mathis (on his 1963 album Sounds of Christmas)
- Hugo Winterhalter (on his 1963 album A Season for My Beloved)
- Brenda Lee (on her 1964 album Merry Christmas from Brenda Lee)
- Dean Martin (on his 1966 album The Dean Martin Christmas Album)
- The Bluebeats (on the 1996 compilation album Christma-Ska on Moon Ska Records)
- Los Straitjackets (on their 2002 album 'Tis the Season for Los Straitjackets!)
- The Cheetah Girls (on their 2005 album Cheetah-licious Christmas)
- Math and Physics Club (on a 2005 digital download via their website)
- Regis Philbin and Steve Tyrell (on the 2005 album The Regis Philbin Christmas Album)
- Kim Stockwood (on her 2006 album I Love Santa)
- Raul Malo (on his 2007 album Marshmallow World & Other Holiday Favorites)
- Jessica Martin and Mark Steyn (on a 2008 digital download)
- Ernie Haase & Signature Sound (on their 2009 album Every Light That Shines at Christmas)
- Mandy Barnett (on her 2010 album Winter Wonderland)
- Jessica Martin and Mark Steyn (on a 2010 digital download - 'Disco Fever Edition')
- Emmy the Great and Tim Wheeler (on their 2011 album This Is Christmas)
- Francesca Battistelli (on her 2012 album Christmas)
- Juniper Jones (in a 2013 holiday commercial for Cooking Channel)
- Seth MacFarlane (on his 2014 album Holiday for Swing)
- Karen O (in a 2014 holiday commercial for Target stores)
- Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood (on their 2016 album Christmas Together)
- She & Him (on their 2016 album Christmas Party)
- "A Crosby Discography". BING magazine. International Club Crosby. Retrieved September 19, 2016.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 112. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- Rettig, James (November 11, 2014). "Hear Karen O Sing "Marshmallow World" In Target's New Christmas Ad". Stereogum. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
|This pop standards-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1950s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|