From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Young at the 2012 AACTA Awards
November 30, 1971 |
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Occupation||Actor, Writer, Director, Editor|
|Spouse(s)||Loene Carmen (m. 2014)|
As an actor
Young's first role was in Bruce Beresford's film Black Robe (1991). They worked together a third time on Mao's Last Dancer (2009), based on the 2003 best-selling autobiography of Chinese ballet dancer Li Cunxin. Beresford stated that Young's "a very cooperative and thoughtful actor."
Young was nominated for an Australian Film Institute award for Metal Skin (1994), Geoffrey Wright's examination of suburban hopelessness and revhead subculture. One reviewer wrote that "Young's depiction of this unsettling metamorphosis is central to the film's success."
In 2011, Young mimed the hit song "Even Though I'm A Woman", by the Australian female indie supergroup Seeker Lover Keeper, in the music video directed by Natalie Van Dungen, and he featured in the Jason Statham/Robert De Niro action film Killer Elite as American techno geek Meyer.
As a director
Young directed the acclaimed short film The Rose of Ba Ziz (2007), adapted from a children's book written by his father; the film was made over five days on a shoestring budget of $700 and featured an appearance by his significant other, Australian singer Loene Carmen, who also co-composed the film's score. Additionally, Young directed the AFI award-winning short film The Order (1999), starring Jared Daperis.
Young has edited films and assisted veteran independent Australian filmmaker Paul Cox in various capacities, since starring in Cox's film Exile (1994). He also directed Carmen's music video for "Nashville High" (2007) and edited her "Mimic the Rain" (2009) clip.
Young was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. His father Chip, an American born in Missouri, is a well-known CBC broadcaster, while his mother is a nurse from Newcastle, Australia. His family left Toronto for Australia in 1981. Young attended Galston High and Australian Theatre For Young People as a teenager.
Young has two sons, Dutch Bon (born 2007) and Chester Van (born 2011), with his longtime partner, Australian singer-songwriter-musician-actress Loene Carmen. They married in Zebulon, Georgia while filming Season 2 of Rectify, in 2014.
|1992||Over the Hill||Nick|
|Love in Limbo||Barry McJannet|
|Shotgun Wedding||Jimmy Becker|
|Hotel de Love||Rick Dunne|
|1997||Paradise Road||Bill Seary|
|Cousin Bette||Count Wenceslas Steinbach|
|1999||Molokai: The Story of Father Damien||Dr. Kalewis|
|2001||The War Bride||Charlie|
|2002||The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course||Ron Buckwhiler|
|2007||In the Company of Actors||Himself/Eljert Lovburg|
|The Goat That Ate Time||Narrator||Short film; voice only|
|2009||Lucky Country||Nat Doole|
|Shot Open||Dodek||Short film|
|Mao's Last Dancer||Dilworth|
|2010||Beneath Hill 60||Major North|
|Kissing Point||Mark Logan||Short film|
|2014||I, Frankenstein||Dr. Victor Frankenstein|
|Frontera||Sheriff Randall Hunt|
|2015||The Unseen||Bob Longmore|
|2003||After the Deluge||Young Cliff||TV movie|
|2006||Two Twisted||Patrick Dempsey/Clone||Season 1, Episode 7: "Soft Boiled Luck"|
|2007||The Starter Wife||Jorge Stewart||6 episodes|
|2011||East West 101||Kendrick||Season 3, Episode 6: "Behold a Pale Horse"
Season 3, Episode 7: "Revelation"
|2013–present||Rectify||Daniel Holden||3 seasons, 22 episodes|
|2014||Rake||Joshua||Season 3, Episode 3|
|The Code||Randall Keats||Main Cast: Series 1
|2015||The Principal||-||4 episodes|
|1998||The Order||Yes||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2007||The Rose of Ba Ziz||Yes||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|Loene Carmen Nashville High||Yes||No||Yes||Music video|
|2009||Loene Carmen Mimic the Rain||No||No||Yes||Music video|
|Kalaupapa Heaven||No||No||Yes||Documentary film|
|2011||Waste Not||No||No||Yes||Documentary film|
Awards and nominations
- Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Drama Series Nomination for Rectify (2015)
- Satellite Award for Best Actor – Television Series Drama Nomination for Rectify (2013)
- Australian Film Institute Awards Nomination for Best Actor in a Lead Role for River Street (1996)
- Australian Film Institute Awards Nomination for Best Actor in a Lead Role for Metal Skin (1995)
- Australian Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for Metal Skin (1995)
- "Aden Young, Celebrity". TV Guide.
- "Aden Young, Biography". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Director Bruce Beresford on "Mao's Last Dancer" | Culture". Mindfood. 7 September 2009. Archived from the original on 14 July 2011. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "Movie Review – Metal Skin". eFilmCritic. 1 January 1994. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "Rectify should put SundanceTV and star Aden Young on the map". goldderby.com.
- "St Kilda Sees New Talent – Movies". Citysearch. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "The Rose of Ba Ziz (2007)". IMDb. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "The Order (1999)". IMDb.
- Sargeant, Jack (February 2010). "Keeping It Reel,". Film Ink.
- "Steve Dow, journalist". Stevedow.com.au. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 1 August 2011.
- "Aden Young, star of US series Rectify, on the dark role that sometimes haunts him". news.com.au. 3 January 2015.
- "About". Art of Music. Australia.
- "Rectify - Aden Young Earns Critics' Choice Television Award Nomination for SundanceTV's "Rectify"". www.sundance.tv.
- "Rectify - Awards - IMDb". imdb.com. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
-  "Killer Elite article"
- ["Lights Brighter Behind Camera" The Australian by Sandy George, Film writer | 14 August 2007]
- "Making A Short Film – Aden Young" by Dov Kornits, Film Writer 05/16/99
-  "Archibald Finalists 2008"
- "Loene Carmen's Parallel Universe"
- "To The Point on Point" Senses of Cinema, Issue 53, Paul Cox dossier | 28 December 2009"
-  "The Young And Restless" The Sunday Age by Peter Wilmoth | 24 April 1994]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aden Young.|
- Aden Young at the Internet Movie Database
- Rectify Should Put Sundance TV And Star Aden Young On The Map - Gold Derby 2015
- Aden Young ('Rectify') on Critics' Choice nod for playing 'confused and broken' ex-con - Gold Derby 2015
- Aden Young - Rectify GQ Interview
- Aden Young - Rectify Golden Globes Interview
- Aden Young Delivers Fiery Response To Critics Of His Slowburning Series Rectify - Daily Telegraph 2014
- Rectify's Aden Young Doesn't Want To Know If Daniel Is Innocent - Toronto Sun 2014
- Q&A Aden Young - TV Goodness 2013
- Aden Young Biography – Yahoo.com
- What The Next Big Thing Did Next, SMH 2009[permanent dead link]
- Lucky Country review[permanent dead link]
- Triple J Interview 2009
- Aden Young Stars In Mao's Last Dancer 2009
- Seeker Lover Keeper clip 'Even Though I'm A Woman 2011
- Seeker Lover Keeper clip 'Even Though I'm A Woman' behind the scenes 2011
- In the Company of Actors
- The Rose Of Ba Ziz (2007),8 mins, dir Aden Young
- The Order, 25mins, dir Aden Young