Advanced Info Service
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||It has been suggested that this article be merged with MPay. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2016.|
|Traded as||SET: ADVANC|
|Founded||24 April 1986|
|Headquarters||414 Intouch Tower Phaholyothin Road, Samsen Nai, Phayathai, Bangkok, Thailand|
|Services||Mobile telephony, Internet|
|Revenue||TH฿ 156.01 billion (2015)|
|Profit||TH฿ 39.15 billion (2015)|
|Total assets||TH฿ 181.76 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||TH฿ 48.37 billion co(2015)|
Number of employees
Advanced Info Service Public Company Limited is Thailand's largest GSM mobile phone operator with 35 million customers as of March 2013.  Founded in April 1986, AIS started off as a computer rental business. In October 1990, it launched analog 900 MHz mobile phone services with a 20-year monopoly concession from the Telephone Organization of Thailand, and later became the first company allowed to operate on the GSM 900 frequency. Followed by acquiring Shinawatra Paging in June 1992.
The highly profitable company is controlled by the Intouch plc (formerly Shin Corporation), headed by Temasek Holdings, a Singapore government owned agency. AIS is listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand on 5 November 1991 . As of 23 December 2011, InTouch plc holds 40.45% of the total shares of the company and Singapore Telecommunications (also majority held by Temasek together) together with Thai Trust Fund and OCBC Nominees holds a 23.32% stake.
In February 2014, in a conflict between the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PRDC) and Shinawatra, the PDRC called for a boycott of AIS, wrongly believing it to be owned by the Shinawatra family.
- Advanced Contact Center Company Limited (ACC) - Operate AIS Call Center 1175 and 1148
- Advanced Datanetwork Communications Company Limited (ADC) - Provide Online Data Communication service via telephone lines under the name "Datanet", licensed by TOT
- DataNetwork Solutions Company Limited (DNS) - Provide Online Data Communication service via telephone lines under the name "Datanet"in the provincial area.
- mPay payment processing and e-wallet service.
Services and coverage
As of March 2013, AIS is the largest network in Thailand with 35 million subscribers. In addition to post pay services, AIS offers prepaid services under the 1-2Call brand.
Currently (2014) data is sold in both time-based and volume-based packages, with daily unlimited packages starting at 49 baht.
Current logo, changed on 29 September 2011
- Advance Info Service (2010). Annual Registration Statements 2009 (PDF) (in Thai). Retrieved 23 Jun 2010.
- Advance Info Service (2010). Annual Report 2009 (PDF). p. 27.
- F/S & Highlights The Stock Exchange of Thailand
- Staff & Human Resource Development Investor Site - AIS
- Sirivish Toomgum (Sep 2011). "AIS to double 3G users". The Nation. Retrieved 12 Sep 2012.
- Job TopGun, Advanced Info Service PLC. ,
- AIS corporate website, click on "About AIS", "Company profile", and then "1990"
- "ADVANC Company Profile". Stock Exchange of Thailand. Retrieved 23 June 2010.
- "Page 42 - Shareholding structure - AIS 2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 7 April 2012.
- "Shin to sell more of AIS to Singtel". Retrieved 7 Apr 2012.
- "Thaksin helps himself". The Economist. 2006-01-26. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "PDRC targets Shinawatra interests". Bangkok Post. 19 Feb 2014. Retrieved 6 Mar 2014.
- "DTAC Slow Plays 3g Roll Out". Bangkok Post. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Notification on changing the Company logo and brand repositioning". Advance Info Service. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 11 November 2011.