From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gaskarth performing with All Time Low in 2012
|Birth name||Alexander William Gaskarth|
December 14, 1987 |
Essex, United Kingdom
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, musician|
Alexander William "Alex" Gaskarth (born December 14, 1987), is an English-American musical artist, recording artist, musician, singer, songwriter and podcast host, best known as the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, and primary songwriter of the American rock band All Time Low.
Gaskarth was born in Essex, United Kingdom to Peter and Isobel Gaskarth. He moved to Baltimore, Maryland, United States when he was seven years old. He has two half-sisters and one half-brother who died when Alex was 12 years old.
Crew Fighters (2002-2003)
During his teens, Gaskarth was part of a band performing cover songs called Crew Fighters. Soon after, he met Jack Barakat, who persuaded him to join a band called NeverReck, later renamed as All Time Low. All Time Low started doing cover songs of Blink-182 and Green Day. Subsequently, the formation of the band was completed by Zack Merrick (bass, backing vocals) and Rian Dawson (drums, percussion), who left Crew Fighters to join All Time Low.
All Time Low (2003-present)
Gaskarth started playing music bandmate Jack Barakat in eighth grade. In ninth grade they acquired Zack Merrick and Rian Dawson, forming the band All Time Low in 2003. They signed to Emerald Moon Records in 2004 while still in high school and released their debut EP, "The Three Words to Remember in Dealing with the End". In 2005, they released their debut studio album "The Party Scene".
In 2006 the band signed with Hopeless Records. In 2007, they released a Platinum single "Dear Maria, Count Me In" and in 2008 it was certified 4x Platinum by Billboard. They also released their second studio album "So Wrong, It's Right" in 2007. In 2009, All Time Low released their third studio album “Nothing Personal” which debuted number 4 in Billboard 200. In 2010 the band released two CD/DVD packages, MTV Unplugged and the documentary/live concert Straight to DVD.
In 2011, the band signed with Interscope Records and released their fourth studio album "Dirty Work". In early 2012, the band re-signed with Hopeless Records and released their fifth studio album "Don't Panic". On 7 April 2015, All Time Low released their sixth studio album "Future Hearts" which reached number 2 on Billboard Hot 200 Albums Chart with 75,000 copies sold in its first week, and number 1 in the U.K official Album Charts with 19400 copies being sold. In 2016 Straight to DVD 2: Past Present and Future Hearts was released. This is a sequel to Straight to DVD, documenting the past four years of the band as well as another live concert.
Gaskarth has written songs for/with other bands such as 5 Seconds of Summer, McBusted, and Simple Plan. He has also been a host of the podcast Full Frontal with bandmate Jack Barakat since 2013.
Up until around mid-2013, Gaskarth used a variety of custom-made Paul Reed Smith guitars, most notable the Mira. He stated in a Reddit AMA that he abandoned the instruments due to difficulties replacing parts while overseas. Gaskarth currently uses Fender guitars, most notable the Telecaster Deluxe models, although he has been seen using a Starcaster, as well as some of their acoustic models. Gaskarth has also been seen using Gibson electric guitars.
Gaskarth has been influenced by many pop-punk/rock bands such as Blink-182, Green Day, The Beatles, The Get Up Kids, Foo Fighters, The Ataris, MxPx, The Offspring, Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, The Clash, NOFX, The Early November, The Ramones, The Starting Line, Less Than Jake, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, New Found Glory, Linkin Park, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, U2, and The All-American Rejects.
- The Party Scene (2005)
- So Wrong It's Right (2007)
- Nothing Personal (2009)
- Dirty Work (2011)
- Don't Panic (2012)
- Future Hearts (2015)
- "Freaking Me Out" (with Simple Plan)
- "Telescope" (with Yellowcard)
- "When I Found You" (with Amber Pacific)
- "Kiss Me Again" (with We Are The In Crowd)
- "No one can touch us" (with Sing It Loud)
- Allison Thompson (2014-08-17), All Time Low Documentary Part 1, retrieved 2016-11-25
- "Hopeless signs All Time Low; band touring with Transition - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "All Time Low's "Dear Maria, Count Me In" Goes Platinum – Infectious Magazine". infectiousmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "All Time Low Logs Third No. 1 on Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "All Time Low | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "All Time Low Part Ways With Interscope; Set To Reveal New Single On Friday? - News - Rock Sound Magazine". Rock Sound Magazine. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Interview: All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth on re-signing with Hopeless - Features - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Straight To DVD II: Past, Present, and Future Hearts - Preorder Now! | All Time Low". alltimelow.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "All Time Low on Touring, Songwriting and Social Media - Page 2 of 4 - Music Connection Magazine". www.musicconnection.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Mark Hoppus, Rivers Cuomo And Alex Gaskarth On McBusted Album - Kerrang!". Kerrang!. 2014-10-24. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Simple Plan writing new song with Blink-182's Mark Hoppus and All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth - News - Alternative Press". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- "Full Frontal Radio Show". fullfrontalradio.com. Retrieved 2016-11-25.
- Equipboard Inc. "Alex Gaskarth". Equipboard. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Chiu, Melody (April 23, 2016). "All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth Marries His High School Sweetheart Lisa Ruocco". People. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth marries longtime girlfriend Lisa Ruocco". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Alex Gaskarth Vocal Range (A2-C#5). October 11, 2010. Retrieved April 24, 2016 – via YouTube.
- "Interview All Time Low: Cewek Indonesia Cantik-Cantik". KapanLagi.com. Retrieved April 27, 2016.
- "Zoo zoo zoo zoo zoo zooooo zooooo.". Spin. December 2007. p. 98. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Weatherby, Taylor (April 6, 2015). "All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth talks 'Future Hearts': 'We wanted to tell a story'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "All Time Low lead singer Alex Gaskarth said Larry Flynt tried to send cease-and-desist letters". The Washington Times. October 10, 2014. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Chew, Cohan. "All Time Low's Alex Gaskarth and friends record Christmas charity song". Gigwise. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Hall, Mackenzie (October 9, 2015). ""It was rad to be a part of." Alex Gaskarth talks "Fan Girl" movie". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Whitt, Cassie (April 11, 2016). "Alex Gaskarth and Jack Barakat to run for president of the 2016 APMAs". Alternative Press. Retrieved April 24, 2016.