From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lepore at the Life Ball in Vienna, Austria, May 2014.
December 5, 1967
Cedar Grove, New Jersey, United States
|Height||5 ft 2 in (1.57 m)|
|Hair color||Platinum blonde|
Amanda Lepore (born December 5, 1967) is an American model, celebutante, singer, and performance artist. The former Club Kid has appeared in advertising for numerous companies. Lepore is also noted as a regular subject in photographer David LaChapelle's work, serving as his muse, as well as many other photographers, such as Terry Richardson and Ruben van Schalm . She participated in LaChapelle's Artists and Prostitutes 1985–2005 exhibit in New York City, where she "lived" in a voyeuristic life-sized set. Lepore has also released several singles, many written by and/or recorded with Cazwell. In 2011, she released her debut studio album, I...Amanda Lepore, on Peace Bisquit.
Amanda, born Armand Lepore in 1967, grew up in the Essex County community of Cedar Grove, New Jersey. Her father was an Italian-American chemical engineer, and her mother was a German-American housewife. Her mother had schizophrenia and spent much time in mental institutions. She has one sibling, an elder brother.
Lepore later wrote: "Ever since I can first remember, I knew I was a girl. I couldn't understand why my parents were dressing me up in boys clothing. I thought they were insane." In her early teens Lepore began making costumes for a transgender friend in exchange for female hormones. She was already isolated from her peers. At this time, her parents withdrew her from public school and hired a private tutor. They took her to a psychologist, who helped her obtain a prescription to begin hormone therapy to prepare her for transition to a woman.
At the age of 17, and through a legal loophole, Lepore married a male bookstore owner. She was granted permission for sex reassignment surgery, which she had at age 19 in Yonkers, New York. Lepore later left her husband; in 1989, she relocated to New York City.
In the early 1990s, Lepore tried to establish herself as a nightlife figure (including being a member in the Club Kids). She supported herself by working in a nail salon, as a dominatrix, and later as a cosmetics salesgirl for Patricia Field. After meeting photographer David LaChapelle one evening while hosting at Bowery Bar, she began collaborating with him. She ultimately gained international renown as his muse.
Modeling and acting
Lepore has appeared in fashion magazines, including French Playboy, Ponytail, DAMn and TUSH. She is on the cover of Lords of Acid's 1999 album Expand Your Head and on Thighpaulsandra's 2006 album The Lepore Extrusion.
Because of her association with the Club Kids, Lepore had a cameo in the documentary Party Monster: The Shockumentary (1998) and the feature film Party Monster (2003). She can be seen briefly in the fashion spoof comedy Zoolander (2001). She was featured in the documentary Dig! (2004) and in Another Gay Sequel (2008). Lepore will be featured in José André Sibaja's upcoming film The Zanctuary.
Lepore has had cameos in music videos for artists including Elton John, Thalía, The Dandy Warhols, Girl in a Coma, Grace Jones, Keanan Duffty, TIGA (for his cover of "Sunglasses at Night), and the alt rock band The Drumms (for "Days"). Lepore appears in many of Cazwell's music videos, including "Watch my Mouth" and "All Over Your Face".
In 2005, Lepore released her first album, Introducing... Amanda Lepore, which contains "Champagne" and "My Hair Looks Fierce". In 2007, she released two remix albums, Fierce Pussy and My Pussy E.P. Lepore also sings the main title for Another Gay Movie, "I Know What Boys Like". She also performs "Cotton Candy", from the soundtrack of Another Gay Sequel.
Lepore was a part of True Colors Tour 2007, a 15-city North American benefit tour sponsored by the Logo channel, hosted by comedian Margaret Cho and headlined by Cyndi Lauper. The tour benefited the Human Rights Campaign, PFLAG and the Matthew Shepard Foundation, and it included Erasure, Debbie Harry, The Gossip, Rufus Wainwright, The Dresden Dolls, The MisShapes, Rosie O'Donnell, Indigo Girls, The Cliks and other special guests. In 2009, Lepore performed at the Majestic Theatre during Metro Pride Fest in Detroit with The Divas of the Majestic: A Divine Lites Productions and Founder, Electra Lites. In June 2011 she debuted her album I...Amanda Lepore at the Highline Ballroom with Cazwell, Kat Deluna, Neon Hitch, Ana Matronic, Jonté and many others.
Her debut full-length album I...Amanda Lepore was released in 2011 on Peace Bisquit.
In 2014, Lepore was featured on drag performer Sharon Needles' single, "I Wish I Were Amanda Lepore", and she guest starred in the music video for the track, depicting Needles as a fan obsessed with getting plastic surgery to look like her.
In October 1999, Swatch released "Time Tranny", a watch designed by LaChapelle with Lepore on the face, which displays a printed crack on the glass and marble stripes as the background. A second version displays no cracked glass and a blue and yellow striped background.
Lepore has a line of cosmetics in partnership with CAMP Cosmetics, called "Collection Lepore", as well as a signature perfume.
- Studio albums
|2005||Introducing... Amanda Lepore
|2008||Fierce Pussy (The Remix Album)|
|2010||Cazwell and Amanda
|2006||"I Know What Boys Like"||Another Gay Movie Soundtrack|
|2009||"Cotton Candy"||I...Amanda Lepore|
|"My Hair Looks Fierce"|
- Music videos
|2009||"Cotton Candy"||Bec Stupak|
|2011||"Turn Me Over"||Marco Ovando|
|2010||"Get Into It" Cazwell feat. Amanda Lepore||Marco Ovando|
|2011||"Doin It My Way"||Marco Ovando|
|2012||"Doin It My Way" Remix||Sid Licious|
- Graymay, Kevin (May 14, 2014). "After Prison, No After-Hours: Michael Alig, the Former King of the Club Kids, After Prison". The New York Times.
- LaChapelle, David, (2005). Artists And Prostitutes Taschen America Llc, ISBN 978-3-8228-1617-2
- Williford, Daniel (2009). Queer Aesthetics. Borderlands, Vol. 8. No.2.
- Peden, Lauren David. "Shopping with...Amanda Lepore", Dominican Today, September 28, 2005. Accessed July 6, 2011. "But that's what makes Amanda (nee Armand) Lepore from Cedar Grove, New Jersey so great. The boy who grew up to be a Vargas pinup girl may be all manufactured artifice on the outside – huge blond hair, huge red lips, huge gravity-defying boobs."
- Musto, Michael (March 11, 2008). "Christian From Project Runway Has a Boyfriend!", Village Voice
- Ian Phillips, "How Do I Look? ; Transsexual, Muse, Naked Party Animal, Amanda Lepore Walks on the Wild Side", The Independent, 27 October 2001
- Lepore, Amanda. "The Amanda Lepore Story". buzznet.com. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- Olding, Rachel (February 27, 2010) Fantastic plastic. Sydney Morning Herald
- "Amanda's Story on amandaleporeonline.com". Archived from the original on 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-01-21.
- Musto, Michael (March 16, 1999). "NY Mirror". villagevoice.com. Retrieved June 2, 2014.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Page Six (July 10, 2003). How Lopez lost Vogue cover. New York Post
- Monroe, Kennidi (December 22, 2008). Interview: Season Finale, with Amanda Lepore. TrannyTalk 101
- Chinen, Nate (June 20, 2007). Power to the People (and Some Pop Too). New York Times
- Staff report (July 16, 2009). Electra Lites to leave Detroit. PrideSource
- Visco, Gerry (June 29, 2011). Bash Compactor: Golden Girl. New York Press
- Clark, Hazel; Brody, David (2009). Design Studies: A Reader, p. 493. Berg, ISBN 978-1-84788-236-3
- Lopez, Vincent (May 9, 2006). Toys, p. 64. The Advocate
- Iannacci, Elio (March 17, 2011). The new transsexual chic. Macleans
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amanda Lepore.|