Annada Government High School
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Annada Government High School|
|Number of students||Above 2,000|
|Campus||Urban, 5 acres (20,000 m2)|
Annada Government High School (Bengali: অন্নদা সরকারী উচ্চ বিদ্যালয়) is a government secondary school for boys in the district of Brahmanbaria, Bangladesh. The school was named after Raja Roy Bahadur Annada Prashad Roy who was a landlord of Kolkata. The school operates under the Comilla Education Board.
The school lies in the heart of Brahmanbaria town. It is one of the biggest and the oldest school in Brahmanbaria district having a field, a basketball court, a school hostel and a gymnasium.
It was 1860 when the school came into existence with the name of Aided Anglo Vernacular School. When the necessity was felt to upgrade it to a high school, Annada Prasad Roy Bahadur (landlord of Kolkata) of Cassimbazar and respectable zamindar of Sarail estate undertook the responsibility for the development of the school in 1875.
The founding headmaster was Babu Jogesh Chandra Sarker. Afterwards, many headmasters like Babu Binode Bihary Deb, Babu Kshintin Kukharjee, Babu Mahin Chandra Paul, Mahibullah and Nurul Huda have held the chair of the headmaster.
The school was nationalised on May 1, 1968. Annada Government High School is the biggest school in Bangladesh in Place & Areas. S.S.C 2000 batch had arranged a remarkable reunion on 27 October 2012 and that occasion was historical.
In February 2009, Mrs. Farida Nazmeen joined as a headmaster.
- Sanaul Haque, a poet and former secretary
- Mohammad Harun or Rashid, former professor and head of the department of English at Jahangirnagar University
- Humayun Kabir, former state minister for health
- Al Mahmud, a notable poet
- Wahiduddin Mahmud, an economist and a past member of the Caretaker government
- Ali, Md. Mansur (25 November 2006). ""Annada Govt High School" Light More Light". Star Insight. The Daily Star.