Archduchess Karoline Marie of Austria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Archduchess Karoline Marie of Austria|
|Princess August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary|
|Spouse||Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary|
Princess Maria Karoline
Rainier, 9th Prince of Kohary
|German: Carolina Maria Immakulata Josepha Ferdinanda Therese Leopoldine Antoinette Franziska Isabella Luise Januaria Christine Benedikta Laurencia Justiniana|
|House||House of Habsburg-Lorraine
House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
|Father||Archduke Karl Salvator of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Maria Immaculata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies|
|Born||5 September 1869
Altmünster, Upper Austria, Austria–Hungary
|Died||12 May 1945
Archduchess Karoline Marie of Austria (German: Carolina Maria Immakulata Josepha Ferdinanda Therese Leopoldine Antoinette Franziska Isabella Luise Januaria Christine Benedikta Laurencia Justiniana, Erzherzogin von Österreich, Prinzessin von Toskana) (5 September 1869, Altmünster, Upper Austria, Austria–Hungary – 12 May 1945, Budapest, Hungary) was a member of the House of Habsburg-Lorraine and Archduchess and Princess of Austria, Princess of Hungary, Bohemia, and Tuscany by birth. Through her marriage to Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary, Karoline was also a member of the Koháry branch of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Karoline was the fourth child and second eldest daughter of Archduke Karl Salvator of Austria and his wife Princess Maria Immaculata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies.
Marriage and issue
Karoline married Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary, second eldest son of Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary and his wife Princess Leopoldina of Brazil, on 30 May 1894 in Vienna. Karoline and August had eight children together:
- August Clemens (b. Pola, 27 October 1895 - d. Gerasdorf, 22 September 1908).
- Klementine (b. Pola, 23 March 1897 - d. Lausanne, 7 January 1975), married on 17 November 1925 to Eduard von Heller.
- Maria Karoline (b. Pola, 10 January 1899 - d. Hartheim bei Linz, 6 June 1941). She had been living in an institution for the mentally disabled in Schladming, but was taken away and executed by gassing along with her fellow patients as a result of the Nazi eugenics policy, Action T4, in the concentration camp at Schloss Hartheim.
- Rainer (b. Pola, 4 May 1900 - d. after 7 January 1945 (believed to have been killed in action at Budapest).
- Philipp (b. Walterskirchen, 18 August 1901), married morganatically on 23 April 1944 to Sarah Aurelia Hálasz; their only son and their four grandchildren were barred from the succession of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary.
- Theresia (b. Walterskirchen, 23 August 1902 - d. Villach, 24 January 1990), married on 6 October 1930 to Lamoral, Freiherr von Taxis di Bordogna e Valnigra (Their descendants bore the surname Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança).
- Leopoldine (b. Schloß Gerasdorf, 13 May 1905 - d. Hungary, 24 December 1978).
- Ernst (b. Gerasdorf, 25 February 1907 - d. Gröbming, Styria, 9 June 1978), married morganatically on 4 September 1939 to Irmgard Röll. This marriage was childless.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 5 September 1869 – 30 May 1894: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Archduchess and Princess Karoline Marie of Austria; Princess Karoline Marie of Hungary, Bohemia, and Tuscany
- 30 May 1894 – 12 May 1945: Her Imperial and Royal Highness Princess August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary, Archduchess and Princess of Austria, Princess of Hungary, Bohemia, and Tuscany
- ^ a b c d e f g Darryl Lundy (10 May 2003). "Karoline Marie Immaculee Erzherzogin von Österreich". thePeerage.com. http://thepeerage.com/p11100.htm#i110994. Retrieved 2008-11-28.
- ^ a b c d e f g Paul Theroff. "TUSCANY". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20. http://web.archive.org/web/20080620010038/http://pages.prodigy.net/ptheroff/gotha/tuscany.html. Retrieved 2008-11-28.