Arthur Rex Knight
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Career and education
Knight graduated in Philosophy with First Class honours from the University of Sydney in 1923, and in 1925 he also took a First in Moral Sciences at the University of Cambridge. He worked at the National Institute of Industrial Psychology during 1925-28, first as an investigator, then as assistant to the director, C.S. Myers, and co-editor of the Institute’s journal. He then spent a year as lecturer at the University of St. Andrews. At the University of Aberdeen he was first lecturer and later reader in psychology. In 1929 he succeeded James L McIntyre as Anderson Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Aberdeen and was he commented "probably the only person north of Dundee in a post in psychology”. On the establishment of a Chair in the subject, in 1947, Knight became the first Anderson Professor of Psychology.. He was President of the British Psychological Society in 1953-54.
During World War II he gave a weekly broadcast commentary for the Ministry of Information,. He was also attached to the War Office staff of the Directorate for Selection of Personnel.
Knight first married philosopher Helen Knight (nee Weil) on 30 January 1926 They had met at the University of Cambridge. They divorced in 1936. His second wife was a fellow psychologist Margaret Horsey in 1936, and the couple collaborated in writing A Modern Introduction to Psychology, which was first published in 1948 and passed through many editions. He was renowned by his students as an excellent and passionate lecturer. He died of a heart attack on 12 March 1963.
|This biography of a British psychologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- Knight, Rex (1962). "The Department of Psychology in the University of Aberdeen". Bulletin of the British Psychological Society. 47: 10.
- "Psychology at Aberdeen : Prof. Rex Knight". Nature. 159: 261. 22 February 1947. doi:10.1038/159261a0.
- Boyle, D.G. (1994). Psychology: the Aberdeen Connection. Aberdeen: Department of Psychology.
- "Presidents of the Society". British Psychological Society. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- Knight, Rex (1933). Intelligence and intelligence tests. Methuen.
- Knight, Rex; Knight, Margaret (1948). A Modern Introduction to Psychology. London: Tutorial Press.
- Baker, David B. (2012). The Oxford Handbook of the History of Psychology: Global Perspectives. Oxford University Press. p. 484.
- "Prof. Rex Knight". Times. 13 March 1963. Retrieved 21 November 2016.