From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Seulles river near Pont Roch
|Intercommunality||Val de Seulles|
|• Mayor (2008–2020)||Jean-Louis Lebouteiller|
|Area1||11.31 km2 (4.37 sq mi)|
|• Density||92/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||14026 / 14250|
|Elevation||37–105 m (121–344 ft)
(avg. 45 m or 148 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aldériens or Aldériennes.
Audrieu is located some 11 km south-east of Bayeux and 16 km west by north-west of Caen. Access to the commune is by the D 82 road from Ducy-Sainte-Marguerite in the north which passes south through the centre of the commune and the village and continues to Tilly-sur-Seulles in the south. The D 187 branches off the D 82 in the north of the commune and goes west to Chouain. The D 178 branches off the D82 south of the village and goes west to Juaye-Mondaye. The D158 branches off the D 82 in the north of the commune and goes north to Loucelles. The D 94 branches of the D 82 in the village and goes east to Brouay. The railway from Bayeux to Caen passes through the north of the commune with a station at Le Haut des Jardins. Apart from the village there are the hamlets of Lieu Moussard, Hervieu, Le Haut des Jardins, Le Bas d'Audrieu, Le Calvaire, Ferme de la Motte, Hameau Pavie, and Le Pont Roch. The commune is farmland with residential areas mostly along the D 82.
Neighbouring communes and villages
Audrieu village dates back to Classical Antiquity when it was called Alderium. There are traces of Gallo-Roman dwellings and a Motte-and-bailey castle. The first lord of the area was Percy, cook for William the Conqueror, who gave it to the descendants of the Duke of Northumberland. In 1593 Audrieu returned to Guillaume de Séran, who married Marguerite de Percy, and whose lordship became a barony in 1615.
After being sold in the French Revolution the château returned to the Séran family at the Restoration and is still in the hands of their descendants. During the Second World War Gerhard Bremer, commandant of the 12th Reconnaissance Battalion of the German army established his headquarters in the château. On 8 June 1944, in clearings, forests, and orchards surrounding the castle, 24 members of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division were executed: 22 from the Royal Winnipeg Rifles and two from the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. Two British soldiers were killed at the same time. The castle now houses a luxury hotel and restaurant.
List of Successive Mayors
|1912||Saillard du Boisberthe|
|1916||1944||Henri Naguet de Saint-Vulfran|
|1971||Jean Poi Leguern|
|1995||2020||Jean-Louis Lebouteiller||PS||Liberal Nurse|
(Not all data is known)
In 2010 the commune had 1,042 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known from the population censuses conducted in the commune since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of communes with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
Culture and heritage
The commune has two buildings and sites that are registered as historical monuments:
- The Chateau of Audrieu (18th century). The Chateau is composed of a main building with two projecting pavilions and a centre topped by a triangular pediment. The Chateau of La Motte is older with the Saint-Louis chapel dating from the 13th century.
- The Chateau grounds (18th century)
Other sites of interest are:
- The Tailleboscq Mill on the Seulles river which was converted to a Dairy in 1926.
- The Audrieu Railway Station or Le Haut des Jardins Station is far to the north of the village and is served by the Mantes-la-Jolie to Cherbourg line.
- The remains of the Motte-and-bailey castle
The commune has one religious buildings that is registered as a historical monument:
- The Church of Notre-Dame d'Audrieu (12th century). The Church was founded by Trinity Abbey, Vendôme, who owned a nearby priory-priest. The church depended additionally on the Baron of Audrieu (possibly by retrocession of the priory of Saint-Nicolas-de-la-Chesnaye to whom this right belonged in the 14th century).
The Church contains three items that are registered as historical objects:
- A Painting: The Rosary (17th century)
- A Statue: Saint John the Bapotist (14th century)
- A Statue: Virgin and Child (16th century)
- Jacques Berthault, called Bertaux (1733-1799), General in the Army of the Republic, born in Audrieu.
- Philippe Livry-Level, Grand-croix of the Legion of Honour, Companion of the Order of Liberation, Mayor of Audrieu (1945-1960).
- Monique Livry-Level, daughter of Philippe Livry-Level, resistance fighter, Commandeur of the Legion of Honour, Médaille militaire, Croix de guerre 1939-1945, and the King's Medal for Courage in the Cause of Freedom.
- Audrieu on Google Maps
- Audrieu on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (French)
- Audrieu on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Audrieu on the INSEE website (French)
- INSEE (French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by Law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002, the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" allows, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For communes with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these communes is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Calvados (French)
- Google Maps
- List of Mayors of France (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00111018 Chateau (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA14003337 Chateau grounds (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00111019 Church of Notre-Dame d'Audrieu (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000015 Painting: The Rosary (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000014 Statue: Saint John the Baptist (French)
- Ministry of Culture, Palissy PM14000013 Statue: Virgin and Child (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Audrieu.|