Avenel, New Jersey
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Avenel, New Jersey|
Map of Avenel CDP in Middlesex County. Inset: Location of Middlesex County in New Jersey.
|• Total||3.532 sq mi (9.148 km2)|
|• Land||3.517 sq mi (9.109 km2)|
|• Water||0.015 sq mi (0.039 km2) 0.42%|
|Elevation||39 ft (12 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|• Density||4,836.8/sq mi (1,867.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern (EDT) (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||02389160|
Avenel is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) located within Woodbridge Township, in Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the CDP's population was 17,011.
East Jersey State Prison is located in Avenel, near the border of Rahway; Though located in Woodbridge Township, the prison's mailing address had led to it being called "Rahway State Prison". Also located in Avenel is the Adult Diagnostic and Treatment Center, which provides treatment to convicted sex offenders.
The community was established in 1901; it was named for the daughter of Captain Demarest, the founder of the village, which had formerly been known as Demarest on the Hill. Besides the Demarests, the first settlers included members of the Brown, Clark, Cooper, Crowell, Douglass, Edgar, and Thorpe families.
The Avenel Fire Company #1 celebrated its 100th Anniversary on June 8, 2013, with a parade and picnic. The area also has three public schools, Avenel Middle School, Avenel Street School #4&5 and Woodbine Avenue School #23.
Avenel is home to Woodbridge Developmental Center, a residential care facility for people with developmental disabilities.
Places of worship in Avenel include the First Presbyterian Church, St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church, Central Baptist Church and Fellowship Bible Church.
Parks in Avenel include Mayor Frank Pelzman Memorial Park at Avenel, formerly Avenel Park and Prospect Avenue Park.
Sport teams in Avenel include the Avenel Warriors who currently play at their home field : Gatorade Park, soon to be Montesinos Complex in Iselin (Home to the Iselin Panthers) temporarily because they are building a new field for them to play on.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Avenel had a total area of 3.532 square miles (9.148 km2), including 3.517 square miles (9.109 km2) of land and 0.015 square miles (0.039 km2) of water (0.42%).
1990-2010 2000 2010
At the 2010 United States Census, there were 17,011 people, 5,150 households, and 3,749 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 4,836.8 per square mile (1,867.5/km2). There were 5,379 housing units at an average density of 1,529.4 per square mile (590.5/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 47.89% (8,146) White, 19.78% (3,364) Black or African American, 0.52% (88) Native American, 22.89% (3,893) Asian, 0.07% (12) Pacific Islander, 5.53% (940) from other races, and 3.34% (568) from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 15.84% (2,694) of the population.
There were 5,150 households, of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.0% were married couples living together, 13.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.2% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the CDP, 19.5% of the population were under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 35.3% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37.5 years. For every 100 females there were 127.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 135.8 males.
As of the 2000 United States Census there were 17,552 people, 5,233 households, and 3,799 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,970.0/km2 (5,099.2/mi2). There were 5,353 housing units at an average density of 600.8/km2 (1,555.2/mi2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 53.52% White, 19.66% African American, 0.35% Native American, 18.90% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 3.65% from other races, and 3.89% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.85% of the population.
There were 5,233 households out of which 36.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.9% were married couples living together, 11.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.4% were non-families. 21.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 20.8% under the age of 18, 6.8% from 18 to 24, 42.8% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 8.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 134.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 145.2 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $54,929, and the median income for a family was $61,029. Males had a median income of $48,000 versus $31,804 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $19,794. About 6.1% of families and 9.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 6.6% of those age 65 or over.
As part of the 2000 Census, 13.65% of Avenel's residents identified themselves as being Indian American. This was the fifth highest percentage of Indian people in any place in the United States with 1,000 or more residents identifying their ancestry.
Avenel was the flagship location of Bradco Supply, founded in 1966, one of the country's leading distributors of building products. The company had grown to over 130 locations in more than 30 states.
People who were born in, residents of, or otherwise closely associated with Avenel include:
- Eric LeGrand (born 1990), football player, writer, speaker.
- Dagmara Wozniak (born 1988), Polish-American U.S. Olympic sabre fencer.
- Gazetteer of New Jersey Places, United States Census Bureau. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Avenel Census Designated Place, Geographic Names Information System. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data for Avenel CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Avenel, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- American FactFinder, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- US Board on Geographic Names, United States Geological Survey. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- New Jersey: 2010 - Population and Housing Unit Counts - 2010 Census of Population and Housing (CPH-2-32), United States Census Bureau, August 2012. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- GCT-PH1 - Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place from the 2010 Census Summary File 1 for Middlesex County, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Hopkins, Kathleen. "Union County opposes plan for third correctional facility", Asbury Park Press, August 25, 1999. Accessed June 19, 2013. "East Jersey State Prison, formerly known as Rahway State Prison, also is located in Woodbridge's Avenel section, just over the Rahway border."
- Adult Diagnostic and Treatment Center, New Jersey Department of Corrections. Accessed June 19, 2013.
- Virginia B. Troeger and Robert James McEwen, Woodbridge: New Jersey's Oldest Township (Arcadia Publishing, 2002; ISBN 0738523941), p. 103.
- History, Avenel Fire Company. Accessed June 19, 2013.
- Woodbridge Developmental Center, New Jersey Department of Human Services. Accessed June 19, 2013. "The facility is located in the Avenel Section of Woodbridge Township and is easily accessible from U.S.Route 1, U.S.Route 9, State Route 35, the Garden State Parkway,or the New Jersey Turnpike."
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Demographic Characteristics: 2000 from the Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF 1) 100-Percent Data for Avenel CDP, New Jersey, United States Census Bureau. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Asian Indian Communities, EPodunk. Accessed June 28, 2006.
- Amazon Distribution Network Strategy, MWPVL International. Accessed May 8, 2015.
- Avenel station, New Jersey Transit. Accessed June 19, 2013.
- Attrino, Anthony G. "Eric LeGrand to appear for Q&A at King memorial breakfast in Edison", The Star-Ledger, December 11, 2012. Accessed December 26, 2012."LeGrand, who is from Avenel, is the former Rutgers football player whose inspiring battle to walk again after being paralyzed during an October 2010 game has captured the nation."
- Orr, Conor "Olympics 2012: Fencer Dagmara Wozniak, an Avenel native, flourished with work ethic learned from immigrant parents", The Star-Ledger, July 25, 2012. Accessed June 19, 2013."Her inclusion on the Olympic team — in 2008 as an alternate and in London as a full-fledged member — is a testament to the way she can parse through the chaos during a bout and forge a precision attack."