From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (August 2013) (|
Coill an Chollaigh
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||N676968|
Bailieborough or Bailieboro (Irish: Coill an Chollaigh) is a town in County Cavan, Ireland. Its population stands at 3,908, which makes it the second largest town in Cavan. Bailieborough's proximity to the M3 motorway has made it a commuter town. It stands at the meeting-point of regional roads R165, R191 and R178.
Before the Plantation of Ulster, the area covered by the town was known as Killechally, Killycolly and Killycollie (Irish: Coill an Chollaigh, meaning "forest of boar"). William Bailie, a Scottish "Undertaker", was granted the lands of Tonergie (Tandragee) in East Breffnie by James I. By 1613 he had built a fortified house and enclosed the demesne by 1629.
The house was damaged by fire in 1918 and eventually completely demolished in the late 1930s.
The town's amenities include a secondary school (Bailieborough community school),a leisure centre, with a gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room, many playing pitches and local walks and many lakes surrounding the town, it has also many shopping units and has had many new additions to the town such as Tesco, restaurants and clothing shops. The area is well known and renowned for its lakes and forests. The town is well known for the many public houses that line the main street many serving food as well as beverages.
Bus Éireann route 108 provides three journeys each way (one each way on Sundays) between the town and Kells via Mullagh and Moynalty. Onward connections to Dublin and Dublin Airport are available at Kells. Bailieborough is also served on Tuesdays and Thursday by Bus Éireann route 166 linking it to Stradone, County Cavan, Cavan, Kingscourt, Carrickmacross and Dundalk. Royal Breffni Tours operate a daily bus service from Bailieborough to Dundalk IT catering for students.
Surrounding areas include the scenic vantage point of Lough an Lae, the beautiful scenery and nature of castle lake and town lake which is situated at the heart of the town, the parishes of Killan and Knockbride and the towns of Kells, Shercock, Kingscourt, Virginia, Mullagh, Cootehill, and Cavan also surround Bailieborough. Large towns such as Navan, Drogheda and Dundalk are all within 30–40 minutes by road. Dublin is just over an hour driving time by the M3 motorway via Kells.
- William Bailie (died 1664), Bishop of Clonfert and Kilmacduagh.
- Lord Lisgar (1807–1876), died at Lisgar House (Bailieborough Castle).
- James Owens (1827–1901), Recipient of the Victoria Cross.
- Edward Frederick Clarke (1850–1905), Mayor of Toronto.
- Francis Sheehy-Skeffington (1878–1916), Suffragist, Pacifist and Writer.
- John B. Cosgrave (born 1946), Mathematician and number theorist.
- Mick Finnegan, President of the Workers' Party of Ireland.
- Cillian Sheridan (born 1989), Association football player.
- James Kelly (1929-2003)
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bailieborough.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bailieborough.|
- Bailieborough Community Website
- St. Anne's R.C. Church, Bailieborough: http://www.killannparish.ie/
- Church of Ireland, Bailieborough: http://www.kilmore.anglican.org/parishes/bailieborough.html
- Trinity Presbyterian Church, Bailieborough: http://www.trinitybailieborough.com/
- 1st Bailieborough Presbyterian Church: http://www.trinitybailieborough.com/events.html
- Events in Bailieborough:https://www.facebook.com/bailieborough.essential