Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh|
12 November 1970 |
Ontario, Canada 
|Parent(s)||Sean Ó Cofaigh, Aine Nic Riogh |
Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh (pronounced [ˈbˠl̪ˠaːn̪ˠadʲ nʲiː ˈxɔfˠiː]; born 12 November 1970) is an Irish TV presenter and Gaeilgeoir. She has presented Echo Island, The Afternoon Show and Charity ICA Bootcamp. She was a judge in The All Ireland Talent Show and participated in Celebrity Bainisteoir.
Ní Chofaigh is a journalist, presenter and broadcaster on Irish television. Former presenter of Sin É, and former reporter for RTÉ News and Current Affairs, she covered stories as diverse as the Clinton visit; 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, 2003 Special Olympics World Summer Games; tall ships and female genital mutilation.
Ní Chofaigh has presented shows such as The Afternoon Show, Echo Island and The RTÉ People in Need Telethon on RTÉ Television. Her first role as a TV presenter was with the teenage weekly evening show Jo Maxi during the early 1990s.
Ní Chofaigh presents the Saint Patrick's Day Parade live every year in Dublin City.
Ní Chofaigh co-presented The Afternoon Show from the first season in 2003 but abandoned it in 2009, complaining of health problems. The show was axed in 2010 a year after she left. She was a judge on The All Ireland Talent Show, and had great success on the final season with her act Daniel Furlong who took home the trophy.
In 2010, Ní Chofaigh took part in the "reality" TV series Celebrity Bainisteoir, managing Nobber GFC, based in her home county of Meath. She took the team as far as the semi-final and then she lost. In 2011, Ní Chofaigh began hosting a new series called Charity ICA Bootcamp, which pitted celebrities taking on each other in challenges, with the winner Peter Clohessy receiving money to give to his chosen charity.
Ní Chofaigh was back on television with another afternoon lifestyle day-time talk show on RTÉ One in November 2012 alongside Norah Casey.
In January 2013, Ni Chofaigh made her acting debut in the TG4 series Crisis Eile, playing politician Maeve Kelly-Clarke.
Born in Canada, she was raised in the Gaeltacht of Ráth Cairn, County Meath, Ireland. She is married with four children and currently lives in Dublin. Ní Chofaigh is a native Irish-speaker, and an avid Irish-language campaigner.
- Egan, Barry (14 March 2010). "Bláthnaid: Rebel with a cause". Sunday Independent. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "The Restaurant, Guest Chefs, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh". RTÉ. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- Metal Gear Solid Original Game Soundtrack Booklet.
- Fanning, Aengus (27 September 2009). "Stress and health issues force tearful Blathnaid to abandon RTE show". Irish Independent. Retrieved 27 September 2009.
- "RTÉ's afternoon show axed for new season". Sunday Tribune. 1 August 2010. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Bláthnaid back on the box from Today". RTÉ. 9 November 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2012.
- "Ambassador for Girls". Plan Ireland. Retrieved 24 September 2010.
- "Because I am a Girl". Plan Ireland. Retrieved 24 September 2010.