Clinton County Air Force Base
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Clinton County Air Force Base|
|USGS aerial image as of 22 March 1994|
|IATA: ILN – ICAO: KILN – FAA LID: ILN|
|Owner||United States Air Force|
|Location||Union Township, Clinton County, near Wilmington, Ohio|
|Elevation AMSL||1,077 ft / 328 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Clinton County Air Force Base (IATA: ILN, ICAO: KILN, FAA LID: ILN) was a United States Air Force base located two nautical miles (3.7 km) southeast of the central business district of Wilmington, a city in Clinton County, Ohio, United States.
The airport opened in 1929 and a small hangar was built in 1930. The landing strip was approved by the Civil Works Administration in 1933. In 1940, the Civil Aeronautics Authority took control of Wilmington Airport as an emergency landing field. The Army Air Corps took over the airport in 1942, renaming it Clinton County Army Air Field. The Air Material Command used the airfield for glider research, as well as training and development until the end of World War II.
The airfield was closed after World War II, but reopened during the Korean War. By 1958, the Clinton County Air Force Base was home to the newly created 249th Air Reserve Training Wing. The runway was extended from 6,000 to 9,000 feet in 1960. The air force base was closed in 1971; its operations moved to Lockbourne Air Force Base in Columbus.
The base was decommissioned in 1972 and the Community Improvement Corporation (CIC) began developing the area as the Wilmington Industrial Air Park (WIAP). It also became home to the Great Oaks Joint Vocational School District. In 1977, the Southern State Community College opened, using old barracks buildings as classrooms. In 1980, Midwest Air Charter was acquired by Airborne Freight Corporation, resulting in Airborne Express, which became the largest tenant at WIAP and resulted in the airfield being named Airborne Airpark.
Facilities and aircraft
Airborne Airpark covers an area of 2,000 acres (810 ha) at an elevation of 1,077 feet (328 m) above mean sea level. It has two concrete surfaced runways: 4L/22R is 10,701 by 150 feet (3,262 x 46 m) and 4R/22L is 9,000 by 150 feet (2,743 x 46 m).
Future of the Property
On January 19, 2010, DHL agreed to turn over the airport, including its two runways, control tower, buildings and cargo storage facilities to the Clinton County Port Authority. While no concrete plans have been set, the port authority plans to work with local and state officials on redeveloping the property.
In January 2012, the Clinton County Port Authority was in conversations with the Ohio Air National Guard for the possible return of a U.S. Air Force presence at the airport, with possible use as a joint civil-military airfield by the Air National Guard to operate model specific Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
- FAA Airport Master Record for ILN ( PDF), effective 2009-08-27.
- ABX Air: Air Park History
- "DHL agrees to donate airport to group for redevelopment". Dayton Daily News. 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2010-01-18.
- "Air Guard wants to fly UAV here". Wilmington News Journal. 2012-01-14. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- Clinton County AFB, Ohio at GlobalSecurity.org
- FAA Terminal Procedures for ILN, effective April 4, 2013
- Resources for this airport: