George White (Ohio politician)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|52nd Governor of Ohio|
January 12, 1931 – January 14, 1935
|Lieutenant||William G. Pickrel
Charles W. Sawyer
|Preceded by||Myers Y. Cooper|
|Succeeded by||Martin L. Davey|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Ohio's 15th district
March 4, 1911 – March 3, 1915
|Preceded by||James Joyce|
|Succeeded by||William C. Mooney|
March 4, 1917 – March 3, 1919
|Preceded by||William C. Mooney|
|Succeeded by||C. Ellis Moore|
August 21, 1872|
Elmira, New York
|Died||December 15, 1953
West Palm Beach, Florida
|Resting place||Oak Grove Cemetery, Marietta, Ohio|
|Alma mater||Princeton College|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: George White (Ohio politician)|
George White (August 21, 1872 – December 15, 1953) was the 52nd Governor of Ohio.
After serving in the Ohio House of Representatives from 1905 to 1908, White was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1910, serving from 1911 to 1915. White lost a re-election bid in 1914, but won election again in 1916 – though he then lost again in 1918. White served as Chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 1920 to 1921.
He then returned to politics again in 1930, serving two two-year terms as governor from 1931 to 1935. He was not renominated in 1934 due to intemperate actions against the working classes which included meeting a delegation of workers that wanted to talk to him about how to pay property taxes. In 1940, White ran again for the Democratic nomination for governor but lost to Martin L. Davey.
White died at West Palm Beach, Florida, December 15, 1953, and is buried at Oak Grove Cemetery in Marietta.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:
- Powell, Thomas Edward, ed. (1913). The Democratic party of the state of Ohio: a comprehensive history. 2. The Ohio Publishing Company. pp. 443, 444. http://books.google.com/books?id=QItLcC2wKwIC&pg=PA444.
- Galbreath, Charles Burleigh (1925). History of Ohio. IV. Chicago: The American Historical Society. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-7812-5367-3.
- George White (Ohio politician) at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Biography at the National Governors Association
- George White (Ohio politician) at Find a Grave
|Offices and distinctions|