From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (November 2012)|
|— town —|
|• MLA||Ramesh Chennithala|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL- 29|
|Lok Sabha constituency||alapuzha|
Haripad is a town in Alappuzha District, Kerala, India, located between Alappuzha and Kollam on National Highway 47. Haripad is close to the Arabian Sea, and connects Mavelikkara and Thrikkunnappuzha. There are eighteen Hindu temples there and more than 30 more in the surrounding countryside. The most famous temples are Subrahmanya Swami Temple and the Mannarashala Nagaraja Temple. The first Sri Ramakrishna Asrama in the state of Kerala was established at Pilapuzha in Haripad on 4 May 1913. It is the land of "Mayura Sandesa", the land of snake boats and the land of music, dance and drama. According to colonial Dutch Governor Gollanez the sea coast between Quilon and Purakkad which the Dutch called 'Martha" and which region was known as Karthikappally (of which Haripad was a part) consisted of two regions or nation states, Karnoppally (the present Karunagapally) and Karimpali.
Haripad derived its name from either Aripad (as Ari means Rice and this was the place where from the major portion of the rice for the state came), or "Harigeethapuram". In a literary piece of Kerala Varma Valia Kokilthampuran there is a reference to Pahi Harigeetha Pathanapathe" (save as the master of Harigeetha) 'Mayura Sandesa' has a reference to 'Aripadu vaanoru Kaalam' (at a time when Haripad was ruled). Swathi Thirunal addresses Subramanya as Harigeetha puthalaya dweep', all the show long history and importance of the name Haripad. To this may be added the fact that Karithikapally was called the place where Karthikayan lived.' (Karthikayan Pallikollunnidom).
Karimpali was the area between Kayamkulam and Purakkad (Haripad was in it) Karimpali was also known as Vettimana. The capital of Vettimana Kaimal was Karimpalil palace (near Haripad Railway Station), the capital was later shifted to Karthikappally. In 1742 Marthanda Varma defeated Karthikappally region and added it to Travancore State. During kingship Haripad was a Town. The town hall remains as its proof. In 1921 Haripad got Municipal town status. In 1941 it became non- municipal town. In 1954 it was changed into a Panchayat.
In the district of Alappuzha (earlier Quilon District) Haripad is the centre of administration of Karthikappally Taluk. It is only here in the state where on Niraputhary day the Government Treasury at Haripad paddy bunches are brought from Sri Subrahmonya swami temple on the back of elephants and leading a procession with nadaswaram, music and hanged before the Treasury strong room. During the reign of the Travancore kings Govt revenue collection, gold and other valuables were kept in this Treasury. Till now niraputhary celebration is going on under the leadership of Travancore Devaswam Board. This Onattukara region was the granary of the state during royal rule. It was from this place that rice was supplied to the king's family. "Nelpurakkadavu," big paddy-storing collars and Danavpadi (the present Danappadi). Danav means Jail. It was at this place where the so-called jail was situated. Danav Padi meaning entrance of the jail. This place thus got the name Danappadi one kilometre west of Haripad town near the Ananthapuram Palace. This reveals that Haripad was a place of cultural, Intellectual, Spiritual and administrative importance.
Swami Nirmalananda (1863–1938), a direct monastic disciple of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna (1836–1886) and a co-disciple of Swami Vivekananda (1863–1902) was invited by Harippad Vedanta Society to Kerala for the first time in 1911. The Swami reached Harippad on 16 February 1911 and the subsequent development paved the way for the establishment of the first branch centre of the Ramakrishna Mission in Kerala. The first centre, "Sri Ramakrishna Ashrama" was consecrated by Swami Nirmalananda on 4 May 1913 at Haripad. The Swami, who was lovingly known as Tulasi Maharaj opened the doors of the Ashrama shrine and its premises to the members of the public and to all devotees irrespective of their castes or religious distinctions. This Ashrama, under the instructions of Tulasi Maharaj arranged a common feast on the first anniversary of the Asram for all (Misrabhojam) at a time when untouchibility was rampant. This has become a milestone in the history of Kerala. Swami Brahmananda (1863–1922), the first President of the Ramakrishna Mission was brought to Harippad by Swami Nirmalananda and stayed there for three days in December 1916. Also, it was at this Ashrama in 1924 that the first Ordination of Sannyasa ceremonies according to the Ramakrishna tradition was performed by Tulasi Maharaj thus ordaining eleven Brahmacharins (Celebate Novices) to Sannyasa (monkhood). Many stalvarts in the Ramakrishna Order of Sannyasins were trained at this Ashrama. Lately, the ashrama was in a dilapidated condition. But due to the tireless efforts of Ramakrishna Nirmalananda Mandalam and its leader Swami Kaivalyananda, the ashrama was handed over to the Ramakrishna Mission again and the Mission representative Swami Golokananda took over the reins once again on 15 December 2007. Functions of the Asram are going on at the Town Centre South Nada by the side of NH 47. The Mission is now planning to rebuild the Asrama at the old premices at Pilapuzha near Primary Health Centre Haripad (also known as Asramam Hospital) East of Vathukulangara Devi Temple
It was on this very place that Kerala Varma Valiya Koithampuran wrote Mayurasandesa, love letters to his dear wife to be sent through peacocks. (Mayura Sandesa- Message sent through the peacock). Mahatma Gandhi and A R Rajaraja Varma has honoured the place with their august presence. The great poet Kumaran Ashan established relationship with the place through his death in a boat accident. Sri P Sheshadri a well known scholar who was able to speak and write 18 languages was a native of Haripad.
There are many famous musicians, writers, directors and artists from Haripad.
- Padmarajan - Famous Malayalam film director and writer
- Ramankutty Bhagavathar - Musician
- Malabar Gopalan Nair - Musician (Father of M. G. Radhakrishnan, M. G. Sreekumar and Dr. Omanakutty)
- Haripad Ramakrishna Pillai - Famous Kathakali artist
- Harippad Damu - Famous Kathakali Musician
- Harippad Balakrishnan - Kathakali artist
- Kalamandalam Balakrishnan - Kathakali artist
- Sreekumaran Thampi - Writer, Director
- Sivan - Director (father of Santosh Sivan and Sangeeth Sivan)
- K. Madhu - Director
- Ashokan - Cine Artist
- Navya Nair - Cine Artist
- Sanjeev Sankar - Cameraman
- Haripad Soman - Actor & Dubbing Artist
- Erickavu N. Sunil - National Award Winning Mridangam Artist
- Sree Latha - Actress
- Mallika Sukumaran - Actress
- Anary krishnan Kutty - Writer, Actor, Drama director and a Social Activist
- Subramaniyan Pilla - Teacher of T.K Madavan
- Manu Sankar V - environmentalist & farmer (child)
The name Haripad is derived from 'Harigeethapuram', which indicates a Vaishnava culture. Haripad is also known as "Kshethrangalude Nagaram, ക്ഷേത്രങ്ങളുടെ നഗരം " or 'Town of Temples'. In and around Haripad there are more than 85 temples. To name most of them:
- Aranappuram Devi Temple
- Aranazhika Sree Murugan Temple
- Aranazhika Devi Temple
- Arayakulangara Krishnaswamy Temple
- Chempakasseril Sri Bhagavathi, Sri Nagarajaswami temple
- Edakannampallil Sree Durga Devi Temple
- Erattakkulangara Devi Temple
- Evoor Sreekrishnaswamy Temple
- Haripad Sree Anjaneya Temple
- Haripad Subrahmanya Temple
- Kalayamkulangara Devi Temple
- Kanakayil Devi Temple
- Kanjoor Devi Temple
- kattuvallil Devi Temple
- Kanyattukulangara Devi Temple
- Kavarattu Shiva Temple
- Kavilpadikkal devi TempleChingoli
- Kocharayakulangara Temple
- Kolathu Devi Temple
- Keezhthrikkovil Temple
- Kolothu Devi Temple
- Madtathil Bhagavati Temple Ayaparampu
- Manakkattu Devi Temple
- Mangamkulangara Devi Temple
- Manimangalam Subrahmanya Temple
- valiyaparambu devi temple karuvatta
- Mundaikal devi temple
- Mannarasala Nagaraja Temple
- Mangaattu Bhadra Bhagavati Temple Cherutana
- Moodayil Temple
- Mundolil Devi Temple
- Nagariyil Sreekrishna swamy Temple
- Nangiarkulangara Sree Krishna Temple
- Neendoor Sreekrishnaswamy Temple
- Paathiramkulangara Devi Temple
- Padanilam Shastha Temple
- Pattaseril Devi Temple
- Payippad Shastha Temple
- Pithampil Dharma Sastha Temple
- Pullambada Devi Temple
- Puthukkulangara Devi Temple
- Puthukkulangara Sri Durga Devi Temple Ayaparambu
- Sree Moorthy Temple
- Thaanath Kudumba Kshethram
- Thalathotta Vadakkumnatha Temple
- Thevarodath Temple
- Thiruvilanjal Devi Temple
- Thrippakkudam Mahadeva Temple
- Thrivikramapuram Krishna Temple
- Thukkayil Sree Krishna Temple
- Vakkayil Krishna Temple
- Valiyakulangara Devi Temple
- Valiyaparambil Devi Temple Karuvatta
- Valiyaveettil Sreekrishnaswamy & Devi Temple
- Vathukulangara Devi Temple
- Vazhuthanam Mahavishnu Temple
- Vellamkulangara Saraswati Devi Temple
- Vettolil Devi Temple
- Panachamoodu Devi Temple
- Panachoor Devi Temple
The Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple  at Haripad is one among the three oldest temples of Kerala. Daily a number of devotees come to this holy shrine. It is believed that the temple was established even before the advert of ‘Kaliyuga'. It is one of the most prestigious centres of pilgrimage in South India, and is an excellent example of Southern architecture. The image of the deity with four arms is also the biggest of the kind. It is believed to have been originally worshipped by Parashurama. The temple was destroyed by fire in 1921. It was rebuilt with the anakottil (elephant's head), kuttambalam, and a big tank. There are two legends connected with the origin of this temple. One is based on the story mentioned in the ‘Skandapurana' and the other is related to the payippad Snake-boat race.
Several annual festivals are celebrated in this temple the Avani Utsavam in Chingom (August- September), Markazhi Utsavam in Dhanu (November- December), Chitra Utsavam in Medom (April–May), Kartika in Vrischikam (November- December) and Taipuyam (January- February). Kavadiyattam dance with Kavadi is the most important offering here. Kavadi is a bow-shaped wooden structure decorated with tapestry and peacock feathers carried on the shoulders of pilgrims as an offering to God Subrahmanya.
The Subrahmanya Temple in Haripad is built in the ancient Kerala style of architecture. It is believed that when the new temple was nearing completion, one of the trustees had a dream about finding the idol of Subrahmanya. Following his directions the four-armed idol was found in the river near Pathiramanal island and brought to Haripad. In commemoration of this event a snake boat regatta is held on the Payippad River every Chingom (August–September) during the three-day Payippad Jalotsavam festival. The Chithira festival takes place at the temple in Medom (April–May) and includes a procession with a golden peacock throne. Haripad Temple renovated by Ambakkattu Kottaram of Karichal. Ezhikkakathu Jn also very popular. In addition to three " kodiyetams" " thrikkarthika" in vrichikam also celebrated. In this festival all devotees surround the temple will light karthika deepam (lighting lamp) and giving "karppora azhi" (fire by karpooram, a sacred chemical) by government agencies, say excise department and fire works by police authorities. The name haripad is a later addition. The original name was Aripad, which means the place of rice (ari).
The famous Nagaraja temple at "Mannarasala" is situated near Haripad. Nestled in a forest glade, like most snake temples, the Mannarasala Temple has over 30,000 images of snakes along the paths and among the trees, and is the largest such temple in Kerala. Women seeking fertility come to worship here, and upon the birth of their child, they come again to hold thanksgiving ceremonies, often bringing new snake images as offerings.
Evoor Sreekrishnaswamy Temple
The ancient Sreekrishnaswamy temple at the place Evoor is in about 5 km from Haripad town. This temple had originated in the presence of Bhagavan Sri Krishna Himself. Evoor temple is one of the most important 26 Mahavishnu shrines in the world. It is linked to ‘Khandava-dahanam’ (burning of Khandava forest), described in ‘Mahabharata’. The remains of burnt trees being widely found here, confirm this. Further evidence is the nearby ‘Mannarasala’ and ‘Pandavarkavu’ temples. The great Kanva Maharshi (one of the top 7 Rishis), had been living at Evoor. ‘Kannamangalam’ (Kanva-mangalam) is nearby. His ‘Ashrama ’ (hermitage) later became a temple. Evoor Krishnaswamy’s yearly ‘Arattu’ (ceremonial bath) is held in this temple’s tank.
For More Details visit :www.evoortemple.com
Anary Kadoor Kudumbashektram, Anary, Cheruthana
Is the latest Devi temple constructed. It was originally the place of Velichappadu worship. Then developed as a temple. chellamma was the founder of this new temple. It is the first Ezhava temple of Anary. The owners of this have hereditary worship in this temple. who prays in front of this temple will get their wishes fulfilled. Every year there has been conducting Bhagavatha Sapthaha under the leadership of Anary Chandran (the eminent bhagavather of Mahabhagavatham)
Every year the members of the Kadoor family have been conducting the holy feast during one week followed by the Major Pooja. The total expenses will be out of the income received at the temple by way of donations and vazhipad. The farmers in and around anary are providing the agricultural produces to the temple for the holy feast and other poojas etc. The famous nadan pattu snagam "Karthiyayaniyum Sanghavum" originated from the women agricultural workers in and around the Kadoor Devi Temple.....
Anary Kadoor Temple is situated 3 km from Haripad bus station and 2.5 km from Mannarasala Nagaraja Temple.
Chempakasseril Sri Bhagavathi, Sri Nagaraja Swami Temple, Pallipad
This temple is situated near the bank of Achankovil river four kilometres east of Haripad Town. Worshipping deities are of, Sri Bhagavathi, Rekshassu, Yekshiamma, Gandharvan and Bhootham swami in the temple premises and Nagaraja and Nagayekshi in the Kavu (small forest) This area is believed to be a thick forest in the primitive period when a Brahmin family worshipped the deities of Nagaraja and Nagayekshi. Later on the family became no more due to lack of heirs. Thus the area and old family premises came under the control of the ancient nair family The Chempakaseeri. In 1987 the area covering a thick forest of nearly one acre was reduced during the period of renovation. The so-called Chempakasseril Kottaram which was in a dilapidated condition where Sri Bhagavathi and other deities were worshipped was rebuilt to the present temple. Annual Pooja with kalasabhishekam in the temple and Noorum Palum in the forest before the ancient deity of Sri Nagaraja and Sri Nagayekshi are conducted on REVATHI NAL in the month of Thulam (Malayayalam Era).
Arayakulangara Sri Krishna Swami Temple, Pallipad
This is an ancient temple situated on the banks of Acan Kovil river. The main deity is that of Sri Krishna. Other deities are of Sri Siva, Sri Ayyappa, Sri Bhagavathi and Rekshassu. Ashtami Rohini and Sivarathri are the important celebrations.
Edakannampallil Sree Durga Devi Temple
Edakannampallil Sree Durga Devi Temple is a famous and ancient Durga Devi temple located in Thamallackal near to Haripad. This temple is located in Kumarapuram panchayath in Karthigapally thaluk. This is about 3 km from Haripad.
The Chettikulangara temple is about 12 km from Kavala, Haripad. The Chettikulangara temple is a famous temple in Kerala. The temple has many specialities. There are three major festivals in this temple. They are Kumbhabharani (Chettikulangara Bharani), Ethirelppu Ulsavam and Aswathy Ulsavam. The Ethirelppu Ulsavam is for 13 days. The Chettikulangara temple is the second temple next to Sabarimala in income and number of devotee visits, under Travancore Devaswom board. The rice used to prepare Aravana at Sabarimala, is supplied from Chettikulangara temple. The temple is at Mavelikkara
Pallipad is a typical village which is situated 3.8 km from Haripad. A serene and calm village with vast stretches of fertile paddy fields crisscrossed by waterways. Achankoil river flows through Pallipad.The name "pallipad" is believed to be derived from the budhist terminology. Nadvattom Vocational Higher Secondary school and Nadaivalayl school is situated in pallipad, focussing quality education to the students.T.K.M.M arts college is also located in pallipad village.
Pallipad is the home village of several Hindu temple such as Neendoor Sreekrishnaswamy Temple,Erattakulangara Devi Temple, Manakkadu Devi Temple, Shivamoorthi Temple, vazhuthanam vishnu temple, pullambada devi temple, Mullakulangara Devi Temple, Ariakulangara Temple and Thalikkal shiva Temple.Bhagavatha Sapthaham is held yearly in most of the temple.The purpose of Sapthaham is to provide a positive energy to the belivers by reading the Bhagavatham in seven days.Kuchela Jayanthi and Rugmini Swayamvaram are the most imortant parts of sapthaham.Shivarathri maholsavam is celibrated in thalikkal temple and Shivamoorthi Temple. Every year, during Thaipooya Maholsavam Kavadiyattom is going to Haripad Subrhamanya Swamy temple from most of the listed temples.These holy temples exist here as a cultural representation of a community.. Among other practices and philosophies, Hinduism includes a wide spectrum of laws and prescriptions of "daily morality" based on karma, dharma, and societal norms.Despite its complexity, Hinduism is not only one of the numerically largest faiths, but is also the oldest living major tradition on earth, with roots reaching back into prehistory.So these temples targets in providing the believers the complete freedom of belief and workship.It focussed on cosidering the whole world as a single family and to spread the value of love and life.
There are 15 churches out there. Even though it is a Hindu-dominated area, there existed the presence of a Christian community consisting of Orthodox, Catholic and Mar Thoma churches. Mar Thoma Valia Palli, pride of Pallipad, is a symbol of faith and determination, completed 100 years of glorious spiritual service. Pallipad St. Thomas Mar Thoma Church has a total of about 265 families with more than 1200 members, primarily focused on serving the spiritual needs of Mar Thoma Christians which spreads throughout Pallipad and Haripad. This church plays an important role in passing our faith and beliefs to our future generation through Fellowship, Prayer and Worship under the vision of Mar Thoma Church. In 1908 the “ Kattuparambil purayidam” was bought and a temporary building was constructed for worship. On June 21, 1908 Rt. Rev. Titus II celebrated the Holy Qurbana. As the number of families increased to 166 the parish council decided to construct a large church building. It took 25 years to complete and that church is what we have today, St. Thomas Mar Thoma Valiya Pally. The first vicar Perkattu Rev. P.V. Koshy Kathanar and his loving and dedicated parish members sacrificed a lot to construct this church building. On Makaram 28, 1127 Rt. Rev. Yuhannon Mar Themotheos consecrated the church.
Chingoli is an urbanised village which lies near Haripad town. A prominent attraction here is the Vettikkulangara Devi temple, Kanjoor Devi temple and Kavilpadikkal Devi temple. The deity here is revered by the residents. Chingoli lies in close proximity to the NTPC power station
Pallipad Panchyath (Akamkudy Post) is located East side of NH 47 and Railway Line. TKMM college, Sreekumar LPG Gas Godwon, Aranapuram Devi temple, Sree Thalathotta Mahadeva temple, Haripad Railway Station, Bethel Marthoma church and MTLP school thalathotta mahadeva temple is near by railway station.
Nearly 1 ½ km from Haripad K.S.R.T.C Bus Stand, Here you can see the Vilakkumaram (Light Pole) of 19th century. The remainings of Nelppura (Rice Depot) were still there. The P.W.D Rest House and Office of the P.W.D Asst. Exe. Engineer (Roads) are situated here.
6 km. from Haripad is Veeyapuram where the rivers Pamba and Achankovil flow together. this place is one of the beautiful place having river pamba and also a nice bridge
Basically located between Haripad Town and Karuvatta.
Kavarattu temple, Mundolil temple, Kavaraattu temple and Pathiramkulangara temple are the major landmarks.
Alight here for going to Koottamkaitha, Erickavu and other areas near KoottamKaitha.
Connected to rest of the places with frequent Private bus and KSRTC services. 1.5 km to Manarasala temple and 1 km to Haripad Subrahmanya Temple. Ananthapuram palace is one of the historical place (palace) in Kumarapuram. The famous Kerala kalidasa wrote mayurasandesam in this palace. This palace is more than one fifty years old and is quite near to the Ananthapuram (KKKVMHSS) high School.
Erickavu is one of the developing place in Kumarapuram. At present there is one charitable trust called Guru Deva Trust, which have Financing & Leasing company, construction company, transportation company, holobricks company, etc. Presently the company is planning to foray into package drinking water company. Erickavu is a nice place for investing. This place is only 1 km from NH-47.
Danapady is another important place in Haripad. It is the oldest market place in haripad town. It spreads over haripad and Kumarapuram panchayat. Connected by both KSRTC and private buses, this is the place from where one can reach Haripad Subhramanya Swami temple and Mannarashaala Naagaraaja Temple. The education level of Kumarapuram is comparatively very high. There is 2 well equipped hospitals -Deepa Hospital and Huda Trust Hospital.
Location : Travel a 2 km along NH 47 towards North from Haripad Town. Auto Fare: Around 30/- from Haripad Town. Bus Fare : Minimum charge. (All KSRTC going towards Alleppey and some Private Bus service)
Karichal is 4 km. from Haripad. Karichal and Payippad is divided by Achankovil river. The famous Payippad Jalotsavam is conducted in Achankovil river, locally known as 'Payippaattu Aaru'. This three day water festival can be viewed from the river banks at both Karichal and Payippad. The snake boat of Karichal known as "Karichal Chundan" won many trophies at Alleppey Nehru Trophy Boat Race' and is known to all Boat Race lovers for its high ranking performance and agility. more ........www.karichalchundan.com
"Karichal Kattil SreeBhadra Bhagawathi Temple" is 4 km away from Haripad. The road diverted from Achenmukh to right side leads to the Temple.
"HOLY FAMILY Catholic Church (Diocese of Quilon), " is 4 km away from Haripad. The road diverted from Achenmukh to right side leads to the Church.
The T.K.Madhava Memorial College is located in nearby Nangiarkulangara. It was started as a junior college in 1964 by the Sree Narayana Trusts. It had 2700 students in 2007 and offered degrees in English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Bcom (Travel & Tourism), Zoology, Economics and Commerce (Business). Masters Degree In Physics
The residential quarters of the personals working in the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Kayamkulam, also lie at this place. Nangiarkulangara Sree Krishna Swami Temple is a great landmark at this place. This place can also be considered as the junction between Haripad, Mavelikkara and Thrikkunnappuzha.
AKAMKUDY Post -690513 is the nearest place from TKMM college, Nangiarkulangara. Just cross the Railway to east Portion. There is one house named Panamthittayil, Mr. Pushkaran and Mrs. Sumathykutty. There is one other home named as Earickel House, Just beside M/S. Sreekumar LPG Gas Godown and Sree Aranapuram Devi temple. Mr & Mrs. Vamadevan, Pradeep and Pramod are the members staying above said house. The house of Subramaniyan Pillai(Kochariyattu House)-The teacher of T K Madavan is situated at nangiarkulangara
Puthumana Devi Temple is also situated in Nangiarkulangara.The main Prathishta at this temple is Sree Bhadrakali (believed to be Melancottamma).Even though it is a family temple the people in the area has great fear,faith and Bhakthi in this Ammoomma.Now many people from various in Kerala come to this temple for worship.
Haripad is one of the major railway stations in the Coastal Railway Line connecting Kayankulam Junction to Ernakulam Junction via Alappuzha. Haripad Town is very old and well planned. The city centre includes all governmental offices of the Karthikappally Taluk. The city centre also has a very good market, 1 cinema theatre Swathi Theatre near the Haripad KSRTC bus stand. The Swathi Theatre has been renamed as Ashirvaadad Theatre after it was taken over by Anthony Perumbavoor, the right hand man of Mohanlal. The first film released at Ashirwad was the Blessy directed road movie 'Bhramaram'., 2 secondary schools and 3 primary schools. There are 9 more schools outside the city centre.
The govt ups Haripad which is known as the Malayalam Pallikkodam is situated here. The history of this school is unknown as all the records had been lost in a fire in the AEO office. There is a huge badam tree in front of the school which is a sign of the school's age.... The GBHS another great school here, with a lot of stories to tell. And other school is Govt Technical high school Haripad
T.K.Madhava Memorial College
TKMM College is one of the leading institutions of higher education in Alappuzha district. It is situated on a vast twenty-five acre campus, 2 kilometers to the south of Haripad bus stand, on the eastern side of National Highway 47. The management of this college is vested with Sree Narayana Trusts, Kollam, which is one of the leading educational agencies in Kerala. The Secretary of the trust is the Manager of the college. This college is affiliated with the University of Kerala.
The large National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) plant at Kayamkulam is situated near to Haripad. There is also a good railway station in Haripad. The temples in the area are a significant source of tourism.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Haripad|
- "Snake Boat Races" Alappuzha Tourism;
- Official website of Karthikappally Taluk, Alappuzha District, Kerala, India;
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-20.