From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Professor Ivo as drawn by Luke McDonnell in Justice League of America #258.
|First appearance||Brave and the Bold #30 (June 1960)|
|Created by||Gardner Fox
|Alter ego||Anthony Ivo|
|Team affiliations||Secret Society of Super Villains|
|Abilities||Genius level intellect
Fictional character biography
Anthony Ivo grew up with a crippling fear of death. The thought of his life ending was so great that he even avoided his own mother's funeral. For Ivo, avoiding death became his life's obsession. Ivo took to studying cybernetics and soon became an employee of the criminal organization Locus, where he gained new insights through the dissection of one of the Appellaxians. He used this knowledge to build Amazo; Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths, his desire to perfect Amazo was so great he held little qualms as to kill his own father and a complete stranger in the benefit of the mental and biological templates he needed to create the android. In any case, both Pre- and Post-Crisis, he had Amazo attack the JLA in the hope of using their powers to imbue himself with immortality, though Pre-Crisis he tried to use Amazo to steal long-lived creatures, though he captured the JLA on the way in gas filled cylinders, save Batman and Superman, stole their powers and placed them in Amazo, and made a potion that would allow him to live for 500 years, though he can make more. He then told Amazo to remove their memories. However Green Lantern recharges his ring, having used the yellowish-greenish gas he had inhaled, then exhaled to protect him from the ring, and draws the powers out of Amazo and back to their rightful owners, also giving them back their memories. Ironically at the end of the story Ivo is sentenced to 500 years, while Amazo is stored in the trophy room.
Years later, Ivo discovered an immortality potion and drank it, but found that the immortality brought with it horrible disfigurement that made his skin scaly. He blamed this on the JLA and drifted further into insanity as he attacked the League on numerous occasions. Ivo built duplicates of himself to keep him company. These duplicates were repulsed by the insanity of their creator and locked him away, then carried out his dreams of revenge by attacking the new Justice Leaguers (Vibe, Gypsy, Steel and Vixen) and killing Vibe.
A year later, Ivo built a private island populated by robots. There, Ivo created "Men In Black" nicknamed Amazoids who had similar powers to Amazo. The Amazoids could steal one superpower each; they succeeded in robbing the powers of Red Star, Rebis, Valor, Power Girl, Starman and Geo-Force. However, this time Ivo's goal was not revenge, but suicide. Ivo realized that the disfigurement was not the side effect; it was the immortality. His body was becoming more and more infected, more and more immobile, until he would be nothing but a pain-filled living statue. Fearing this even more than death, he ordered the Amazoids to turn their full power on him. It didn't work. The JLA'er Ice, sympathizing with him, unknowingly invoked the power of Guy Gardner's Power Ring ing to cure him.
Professor Ivo's disfiguring experience was not enough to keep him from the temptation of the immortality serum and he once again brought about his own deformity by drinking it. As both Ice and the Green Lantern rings were gone, Ivo apparently consigned himself to his own horrible fate and was later imprisoned. Later, he would form a partnership of sorts with fellow mad scientist T.O. Morrow, constructing the powerful mechanized superheroine Tomorrow Woman as a trap to mindwipe the JLA with an electromagnetic pulse. While both men bickered and bantered all the while, they formed a friendship or camaraderie of sorts, even drinking a toast when he was imprisoned by the JLA. Still, T.O. Morrow was deeply annoyed at Professor Ivo's boasts about Amazo, and to spite him, snitched on the JLA when Professor Ivo planned to use the android to escape. Still, they remained comrades of some sort and still delight in spiting and belitting each other.
Later on, the nearly omnipotent android Hourman sought Professor Ivo to have him explain the very nature of androids. As the father and precursor of the entire race, Professor Ivo gave him the best explanation he could in exchange for a minor piece of knowledge Professor Ivo wanted: whether he would die or not in the end. Hourman told him and left Ivo in his lair to meditate on the answer.
Professor Ivo recently returned in Infinite Crisis as a member of the Secret Society of Super Villains. He then appeared in Brad Meltzer's Justice League of America sans disfigurement. However, in a fight with Black Canary, Arsenal and Green Lantern, he claims to still retain his immortality. In Justice League of America #4, it is revealed that he is not the mastermind of the events, but rather working for an intelligent Solomon Grundy. It appears Grundy is using Ivo to build him an Amazo body to live forever.
He also took part in the Salvation Run storyline.
The Secret Society of Super Villains also assigned him to collect soil samples in Auschwitz, Poland which will be used to create the Wonder Woman villain Genocide. Professor Ivo brings along his newest android Red Volcano as an aid. During this mission, it is revealed that Professor Ivo isn't in agreement to create the new villain but follows through with orders at the prospect of having other Secret Society members create an antidote for his physical disfigurement. Following the Final Crisis, he was with Cheetah III's Secret Society of Super Villains.
After tiring of Professor Ivo's torment, Red Tornado coordinated with his Justice League teammates to have his former creator captured and incarcerated. Maxwell Lord later approaches Professor Ivo with a job to reprogram the Metal Men and to help Maxwell Lord build OMAC Prime, an android who like the original Amazo could copy the powers of any super being in proximity.
The New 52
The first storyline takes place five years in the past and details the retconned origin of the original Justice League. In the back of Justice League #4 which contains S.T.A.R. Labs Employee files, it is revealed that Professor Ivo is a 37 year old male who served as the Head of the Cellular and Structural Biology department as Ivy University for over a decade before he was recruited by the S.T.A.R. Labs project director of the Red Room(a level 9 S.T.A.R. Labs facility in Detroit built to collect and analyze foreign, extraterrestrial and sentient technology deemed too dangerous to share with the world) Silas Stone to oversee the biotechnological efforts of S.T.A.R. Labs. Soon Professor Ivo became the Project Director of the A-Maze Operating System and has pioneered the organic pattern process: the means of creating technology to mimic organic life down to a cellular level, which lead to the successful creation of A-Maze OS that mimics cellular regeneration in the field test with the mice.
Consequently a parallel support program based on Ivo's design, the B- Maze Operating System, was built without Ivo's knowledge. It has showed results comparable to those of A-Maze OS. However according to the files Professor Ivo is one of the most unpredictable members of Dr.Stone's team, disappearing for days at a time, often consumed by his personal projects which have been constantly frowned upon by S.T.A.R. Labs. Ivo suffers from thanatophobia:a fear of death. This often manifests in panic attacks and drug use and has led to several confrontations with Ivo's fellow team members. Silas is currently looking to replace Ivo, calling him "a bomb waiting to go off".
Victor Stone appears as a high school football star who is heavily sought after by a number of college scouts, but apparently has a distant relationship with his father, Silas. After winning a big game, Victor is shown calling his father and angrily telling him that he broke his promise and missed yet another one of his son's games. Later Victor appears at S.T.A.R. Labs where his father works. The scientists appear to be working on the Mother Box that Superman came in contact with from the Parademon. Victor engages in another argument with his father and tells him that the scouts were there to give him full scholarships to college. When asking if his father will ever appear at any of his games, his father replies "No." Just then the Mother Box explodes killing the scientists and destroying most of Victor's body to which Victor's father looks in horror. Victor and half of his body destroyed. Silas does everything he can for Victor's survival. He along with Sarah Charles, and T. O. Morrow go in "The Red Room" in S.T.A.R. labs which contains every piece of technology from around the world while various S.T.A.R. Lab scientists, including Professor Ivo, are kidnapped by the Parademons. In Justice League #4 Silas attempts to treat Victor with something that has never been attempted before and he is seen injecting Victor with some type of nanites and putting the robotic pieces on Victor (devices such as: a Promethean skin graft, Doctor William Magnus' responsometer, Anthony Ivo's A-maze operating system, The classified and prototypical B-maze operating system and Ryan Choi's White Dwarf Stabilizer) which turns Victor into Cyborg.In the issue, he sees himself for the first time with his robotic parts. He cannot feel his hands or legs. Just then Parademons attempt to kill Sarah, but Victor fires a cannon from his arm. When Victor asks his father what has happened to him, his father tells him that he had to save him by injecting him with nanites. Angry that his father has done this to him, Victor "super leaps" away from his father. He sees a woman being chased by Parademons. He helps the woman, but is somehow transported or teleported to where Batman, Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are fighting the Parademons, moments before Darkseid arrives. However the Justice League are able to quickly defeat Darkseid and send him back to Apokolips.
5 years later into the current day, Amazo had officially appeared in Justice League #8 being defeated by the Justice League.  Later the Head of A.R.G.U.S. and World's former Liaison to the Justice League Colonel Steve Trevor and his aide Etta Candy were discussing the events saying the League's fight with Amazo caused million dollars of damage and the city's want to sue someone which leads A.R.G.U.S. establish and result of damage was Green Arrow's fault stating the "Justice League" doesn't make mistakes.  In both comics AMAZO is referred to as "Professor Ivo's bad boy" and "Professor Ivo's Mad Android" but what happened to Ivo himself is currently unknown.
Powers and abilities
Professor Ivo is a criminal mastermind and a scientific genius. He is responsible for the creation of the androids Amazo and the Tomorrow Woman. He was also able to create an immortality serum.
Professor Ivo created a serum which provides him with an extremely long life span. The serum has however left his body twisted and malformed. As a result of his "immortality" serum, Ivo has developed a thick, resilient second skin. The skin appears to be bulletproof, and impenetrable to most forms of energy.
Professor Ivo's Androids
The following androids were created by Professor Ivo:
- Amazo -
- Amazoid - A bunch of androids that are similar to Amazo, but can only copy one superpower.
- Composite Superman - Professor Ivo created Composite Superman in his retconned origin as an earlier attempt to duplicate the Justice League's powers.
- Kid Amazo -
- Red Volcano -
- Tomorrow Woman -
In other media
- Professor Ivo (listed on the computer screen at one point as Arthur Ivo) appeared in the Justice League episode "Tabula Rasa" as AMAZO's creator. Ivo worked for LexCorp, but was fired when Mercy Graves took over the company. When Lex Luthor goes to see Ivo, he is already dead (contrary to the comics, where he has longevity) but Luthor finds AMAZO instead. Luthor briefly quips that the "...cigarettes finally got you".
- Professor Ivo appears in the Young Justice episode "Schooled" voiced by Peter MacNicol. Professor Ivo returns after the League believes he was dead and sends Amazo after them. Four hours after the battle, Professor Ivo sends his monkey-like robots called M.O.N.Q.I.s (short for Mobile Optimal Neural Quotient Infiltrators) to raid the convoys containing the parts of Amazo and steal them back. Superboy ends up trailing the M.O.N.Q.I.s to a boxcar where he encounters Professor Ivo. During the fight between Superboy and the MONQIs that were with Professor Ivo, it was mentioned by Professor Ivo that it took him ages thinking up an acronym for "monkey." After Superboy takes down some of the M.O.N.Q.I.s, Professor Ivo unleashes Amazo on him with the fight leading to Robin's school. Professor Ivo showed up in the gymnasium to watch the fight as the other members show up. Though the team tries to apprehend Professor Ivo, they were unable to due to Amazo. After Superboy destroyed Amazo by sending his fist through Amazo's head while he was still intangible, Professor Ivo managed to get away. In "Terrors," Professor Ivo makes a cameo as an inmate at Belle Reve. In "Humanity," the team and Zatanna visit Professor Ivo in Belle Reve to interrogate him on where T.O. Morrow's hideout. He snitches that T.O. Morrow's base is beneath Yellowstone National Park somewhere near Old Faithful. Professor Ivo makes contact to T.O. Morrow (who was being impersonated by Red Volcano) warning him that the team is heading their way. In "Insecurity," Sportsmaster springs Professor Ivo from Belle Reve while an android of him visits T.O. Morrow's bedside. Professor Ivo is brought before Brain and Klarion the Witch Boy stating to them that T.O. Morrow's scientific mind is in a coma. Professor Ivo, Brain, and Klarion the Witch Boy experiment on the Starro sample and managed to complete their experiment. When Artemis crashes into their lab, Klarion uses his magic to get himself and the other villains out of the warehouse. Professor Ivo returned to Belle Reve where he thanks his android duplicate for filling in for him while he was away.
- Professor Ivo appears in DC Nation Shorts voiced by Jason Marsden. In a two-part short featuring Vibe, he creates a breakdancing android named Extreme-O to beat Vibe only for it to be destroyed by Vibe.
- McDonnell, Luke (p)Wray, Bill (i)"DeMatteis, J.M." Justice League of America 259: 14/2 (February, 1987), DC Comics
- McDonnell, Luke (p)Smith, Bob (i)"DeMatteis, J.M." Justice League of America 258: 3 (January, 1987), DC Comics
- DC Universe #0 (June 2008)
- Justice League: Generation Lost #10
- Justice League (vol. 2) #4 (February 2012)
- Justice League (vol. 2) #4 (February 2012)
- Justice League (vol. 2) #4 (February 2012)
- Justice League (vol. 2) #8 (June 2012)
- DC Comics The New 52 Free Comic Book Day comic (vol. 1) #1 (June 2012)
- Superman/Batman Annual #3