San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Robinsons Ilocos Norte
Map of Ilocos Norte showing the location of San Nicolas
|Region||Ilocos (Region I)|
|• Mayor||Melanie Grace Pizaña Valdez|
|• Total||40.18 km2 (15.51 sq mi)|
|• Density||850/km2 (2,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||2nd class; partial urban|
San Nicolas or Bayan ng San Nicolas is a second class municipality in the province of Ilocos Norte, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 34,237 people. San Nicoleños are famous for their traditionally-designed pots (called "bangas") and their warm hospitality towards visitors. It has the fastest economic and commercial growth among Ilocos Norte municipalities.
The present name of San Nicolas was given in the year 1733, after Saint Nicholas de Tolentino who was believed to have protected the people against floods, earthquakes, fires, typhoons and other calamities. It is significant that in Ilocos Norte, only San Nicolas was named after a Saint.
Like any other town in the ancient province of Ilocos, San Nicolas was established by Augustinian missionaries. Vigan, the first Spanish mission center in this region, was founded in 1575. In the year 1572, when the Spaniards first explored the Laoag (Padsan) River, they met hostile resistance from the natives of San Nicolas and Laoag. In another expedition dispatched from Vigan in 1584 San Nicolas was established and Laoag followed a year later. San Nicolas Catholic Church built in 1701 is one of the oldest buildings in this province. Its original structure is one of the must see places of the town. The Church and the attached Sta. Rosa Academy Building, the well preserved Municipal Hall and the old Town Plaza sprawled between them constitute the heart of the town center. These buildings and structures are originally built and continue to be festooned with earthen bricks, which is among the products of the surviving local earthenware industry.
It is also located right at the center of the developing metropolis radiating from Laoag City. The town is a potential contributor to the social, economic and cultural development of Ilocos Norte in support to the Provincial Government’s program of reviving and enriching the Ilocano cultural heritage under the leadership of Governor Ferdinand Marcos, Jr.
The Municipality of San Nicolas is politically divided into 24 barangays:
|Names of Barangay||Type||Brgy.No.||Local Names|
|San Juan Bautista||Urban||6|
•Area and Location
San Nicolas has a tropical savanna climate with warm to hot temperatures year round. Temperatures dips sightly during the winter months between December to February.
|Climate data for San Nicolas|
|Average high °C (°F)||30.0
|Daily mean °C (°F)||24.4
|Average low °C (°F)||18.8
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||11.8
|Average rainy days||1||1||1||2||8||15||17||20||15||8||5||2||95|
As of Election 2013-2016,these are the winners in the current term:
•Mayor: Melanie Grace Pizaña Valdez
•Vice Mayor: Alfredo Valdez Jr.
- Aladine Santos
- Norberto Dadiz Jr.
- Domingo Ambrocio
- Reynaldo Corpuz
- Orlando Badua
- Oscar Domingo
- Efren Butay
- Virgilio Villa Jr.
|Population census of San Nicolas|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Tourism and Attractions
- Valdez Center-The biggest project of Venvi Group of Companies. Robinsons Mall, 365 Plaza, Freddo, Balai Condominium, and McDonalds San Nicolas is situated here. More infrastructure is seen to rise in this place.
- Robinsons Ilocos Norte -The first full-operating mall in the province, was built in San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte. Opening last December 3, 2009, it makes a good income to the town and the province. Last December 18, 2012 the mall expansion was announced.
- Northwestern University Ecotourism Park and Botanical Gardens-A member of the Botanic Garden Conservation International (BGCI), which caters to the conservation of important indigenous plant species of the province which are now on the verge of extinction.
- St. Nicholas de Tolentino Parish Church
- San Nicolas Town Plaza
- Valdes Residencia
- Valdez-Lardizabal House-used in World War II as a Headquarters of the Japanese Army and also used in the American Regime.
- San Nicolas Municipal Hall
- Pamulinawen Hotel
There are many Business and Works that can found in San Nicolas.Among are the following:
- Pottery Making
- This is the main trademark of San Nicolas.It is introduced by the Spaniards mainly in Brgy.8,and they called it "Alfareria" meaning "Art of Pottery".
- This is mainly found in Brgy.9 and Brgy.10 and locally known as Panday Making.
- Tagapulot Making
- Widely made in Brgy.23
- Chicharon and Longganisa Making
- Mainly known in Brgy.22 and locally known as Sisiron Making
- Lapida Making
- Known in Brgy.1
- Sidecar Making
- Known from Brgy.13 and Brgy.1
- Expert Global Solutions Ilocos
- Lastly situated in i-hub(Laoag City).The Company plans to relocate,choosing Valdez Center.
- Accenture (BPO Company;under construction)
- VYV San Nicolas (under construction)
- Venvi IT Park (under construction)
- Coca~cola Plant Ilocos
- Honda Guanzon
- East-West Bank
- Cebuana Lhuiller
- Honda Cars Ilocos
- Kia Motors
- Ford Ilocos
- Chevrolet(under construction)
- Aguila Glass Supply
San Nicolas is known for its Conventional and Worldwide known Car stores and salers.In Ilocos Norte, San Nicolas is the only one who has Brand New Car stores.There are also many Works,Jobs and Businesses inside Robinson's Mall and SM Save More.
•San Nicolas National High School (SNNHS)
- is the most popular high school destination for teens living in the urban-part of the town.It is also the most populated school in San Nicolas.As of S.Y. 2015-2016 the school reach more than 1,500 of students.The school offers various curriculum. (Special Science Curriculum, SPA, Open High, SPED, and Regular)
•Bingao National High School
- formerly SNNHS Bingao Campus.But last June 9,2015,the school was announced to be a different school from SNNHS.
•Sta. Rosa Academy
- the least populated school in San Nicolas and town's only private and Catholic School.Named after St. Rose of Lima, the patron saint of one of its founders. It is one of the oldest schools in the Diocese of Laoag. It was established in 1936 by the late Msgr. Fidel Albano, together with the late Miss Rosa Valdes, Mrs. Teresa Llopis Zabala and Miss Castora Bonoan.
•San Nicolas Elementary School
- Also known as Central School.It is located at Brgy.3
•Eladio V. Barangan Memorial Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.14
•Cayetano Bumanglag Memorial Elementary School
- Formerly Payas Elementary School.It is located at Brgy.16
•Catuguing Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.22
•Asuncion Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.17
•Bugnay Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.21
•Bingao Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.18
•Filipinas East Elementary School
- Formerly Filipinas Elementary School-Main Campus and located at Brgy.7(East)
•Filipnas West Elementary School
- Formerly Filipinas Elementary School-Annex Campus and located at Brgy.7(West)
•Pasion Barangan Memorial Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.24
•Barabar Elementary School
- Located at Brgy.23
|The Black Nazarene Hospital, Inc||2|
|Municipal Health Center||3|
Catholic is the major religion in San Nicolas.Yet,there are also many Christian denomination situated in the town.Jehovah's Witnesses has also the increasing number of members.Presently,it has two conregations,Iloco and Tagalog congregation.There is also Iglesia ni Cristo's and Mormons' increasing members.Below are the religious buildings situated in San Nicolas:
- Calvary Baptist Church (Brgy. 15)
- Free Gospel Church (Brgy. 2)
- Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses(Brgy.2)
- Saint Nicholas de Tolentino Parish Church(Brgy.3)
- Iglesia Filipina Independiente(Brgy.3)
- Church of Jesus Latter-Day Saints(Brgy.2)
- Church of Jesus Latter-Day Saints(Brgy.21)
- Iglesia ni Cristo(Brgy.1)
- Jesus is Lord (Brgy.12)
Basketball is widely played in the town.Every year,there is a competition in Basketball sponsored by the local government.As the countries' National Game, Sepak Takraw is also played.Volleyball,Baseball,Softball and Badminton is also played mainly in schools.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Province: ILOCOS NORTE". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 26 September 2013.
- "San Nicolas, Ilocos Norte Profile" (JSP).
- "Climatic Normals of the Philippines (1951-1985) (PAGASA 1987)" (PDF). PAGASSA. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Province of Ilocos Norte". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Brgy. 22 Catuguing Website
- Local Governance Performance Management System