University Museum and Art Gallery, Hong Kong
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
University Museum and Art Gallery (Chinese: 香港大學美術博物館) is located at 94 Bonham Road, next to the University of Hong Kong's main entrance. Fung Ping Shan Building houses the Museum while the lower three storeys of the T T Tsui Building houses the Art Gallery. The two section are joined by a bridge linking the two buildings.
University Museum and Art Gallery was established in 1953. It is the oldest museum in Hong Kong.
The three-storey Fung Ping Shan Museum was originally erected in 1932 as a library for Chinese books. Named after its donor (Fung Ping Shan), the building consists of masonry on the ground level surmounted by a two-storey red-brick structure with applied ornamental columns topped by a pediment over its entrance.
It was a dormitory used by the First-aid Station of Air Defence at Mid-levels Section E in 1941
Since 1962, the Chinese books collection, now known as the Fung Ping Shan Library, was transferred to the University's Main Library Building. Later, the entire building was converted into a museum for Chinese art and archaeology. Among its prized collections are ceramics, pottery and bronzes.
In 1996, the lowest three floors of the new T. T. Tsui Building were added to the old building to form the University Museum and Art Gallery.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: University Museum and Art Gallery|